Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Releases Online Marketing Guides for Google AdWords
Search Engine Watch Forums member beu spotted an interesting list of guides that are part of the Google Online Marketing Challenge for students. There are very informative and educational guides on a variety of topics, including for the basics of Google AdWords (PDF link) and how to set up your Google AdWords account (PDF link). These guides are easy to digest and should make learning AdWords easier. Forum discussion continues at Search Engine Watch Forums.
- Google Webmaster Help Group Highlights Contributing Members
Google Groups has a new section called the Google Webmaster Help Bionic Posters where they recognize the biggest contributors to the Google Groups over the past few years. Here are the best posters of the month: ** webado (Christina) ** Phil Payne ** cass-hacks (Craig) ** abracadabra (Tim) ** Aaron Pratt ** Cristina ** Robbo (Vince) ** JLH (John) ** dockarl (Matt) ** IceGiant (Sasch) ** MrGamma (James) ** seo101 It's very cool for communities
- Google Reconsideration Request Language Modified
Michael VanDeMar noticed in his blog that Google has changed the language of their reconsideration request language to something a little less "accusatory." The previous wording said that "I believe this site has violated Googleâ€™s quality guidelines in the past.â€ Now, you don't have to acknowledge wrongdoing. The reconsideration request says: Reconsideration statement: By submitting this request, I acknowledge that: I have read and understand Google's quality guidelines.This site does not currently violate Google's quality
- Google's Matt Cutts Replies to -60 Penalty Thread at Google
A Google Groups thread on the -60 penalty at Google (there are so many of these now, -6, -10, -250, etc) now has several responses from Matt Cutts of Google. Matt replies specifically to the nature of the posters site and not specifically to the nature of what a minus sixty penalty is. But the lack of not addressing the -60 specifically, can these minus whatever be associated with Matt's response to this user? Matt
- Google Webmaster Tools Links Not Being Update & Yahoo Site Explorer Up and Down
I have been hearing reports from friends in the industry that the external link reports at Google Webmaster Tools have not been updated for an unusually long time. I personally stop tracking those updates back in November 2007. We now have a Google Groups thread that shows complaints about the report not being updated and Google taking notice. Googler, Susan Moskwa said: Thanks for the reports, folks; we're taking a look at it. Supposedly, an
- MSRBot Bot, Microsoft Bot Causing Havoc on Some Servers?
There are two recent threads in different forums complaining about search engine spiders from Microsoft. A WebmasterWorld thread is specifically complaining about MSRbot, Microsoft's research bot, for attempting to crawl pages that don't exist. The other thread is from DigitalPoint Forums, which is just pointing out how busy MSNBot is on his particular forum. The MSRbot is reportedly "asking for non-existent page" and the "URLs it supplied in UA string," can't be reach anywhere, said
- Have Extra Money in Your Google AdWords Account? Google May Spend it With "Automatic Matching"
This is pretty amazing, Dan Thies reports some Google AdWords customers are being opted into a beta named "Automatic Matching." Automatic Matching is an algorithm that will come into play when Google sees that you are not using all of your maximum budget for the month or the day. If Google sees you have extra money in your account, they want it and will take it by automatically matching your ads for keywords you did
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Banned From Sphinn? No Worries, Your Vote Counts Either Way, Sphinn
- Link condoms with juicy taste, or how to instruct Google to crawl nofollow'ed links, Sphinn
- Not ranking in pages from UK - page 7 or 8 otherwise, WebmasterWorld
- More changes to forms, Google Groups
- New look, new guides! - Google Maps for mobile, Google Groups
- Search Engine Marketing Job Boards, Sphinn
- Seo: Inclusive Or Exclusive?, Cre8asite Forums
- Why SEO Pundits Can't Explain Search Algorithms, Sphinn
- Amazing Google Trick ...! (Must try), DigitalPoint Forums
- A guide to SEO Canonicalization and URL Normalization, Sphinn
- New Google Process for Detecting Near Duplicate Content, Sphinn