So you have AdSense or YPN or other ads on your site and you want people to click. A DigitalPoint thread has a thread named Combating banner blindness - share your tips! Here are some tips from the thread;
- Text type ads seem to have a better CTR.
- Having images associated with your ads rotate on each load seems to work well.
- Using CSS wrap the text around the ads seems to work well also.
- Try to change the ads style every week so the users won't become used to the old ads style and ignore it.
- My link units are generally a brighter color -- FF0000 (RED) seems to get the most clicks.
- Usually one well-placed ad works much better than a mass of banners, etc.
- Rotate 3 blended ad color and the 4th one, use 'highlighted' color trick. Read more on the following link.
Many other tips at the thread, but the bottom line is that you need to test and see what works best on your site.