A WebmasterWorld thread has nice discussion around what small changes one can make to a site that would have a nice impact on their search rankings.
Often existing sites that did not think about how spiders work can make small quick changes that would have a huge impact on how well that site ranks. But what about existing sites that already have done the daily SEO stuff?
This thread talks about those small, tiny SEO changes that can make an impact. Here are some of the changes people are talking about in the thread:
- Adding keywords to pages within the content and title tag
- Changing the anchor text in the navigation
- Bulking up the text on a page
- De-optimizing a site
- Adding "three semantically related phrases to content area of a problem page (in anchor text)," via Tedster
- Added one phrase to the home page
- Adding longtail keywords back
- Doing Nothing
The last is my favorite, yea - doing nothing and letting Google figure out that you have the best content and most useful site in your niche. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.