This week in search, we covered how we are now told by Google that Penguin 4.0 should launch in weeks time. Google did have another update this weekend but it was not Penguin, it was a core algorithm update. Google explained what core is and why it is so hard for them to confirm some updates. Google said some of the SEO weather report tools pick up on the wrong signals and the tool makers responded to that. Google said the recent reports of spammy and hacked content is unrelated to those updates. Google News may ignore your timestamp in your Sitemap file. Google News publishers don’t get a ranking boost. Google revamped their webmaster portal, it is very pretty. Google Search Console is sending out more notifications via email. Google added AMP error reports to the Search Console. Google said title tags are not a critical ranking signal, as much as body content. Google is testing letting Android users download Android apps directly from the search results page. Google Cache is now HTTPS by default. Google is testing up to 16 Product Listing Ads in the search results. Google does care about webmasters and small businesses, they say. Google’s Gary Illyes doesn’t lie. Google paid Apple $1 billion to be their search partner in iOS. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google: Real Time Penguin Algorithm Should Launch In Weeks
- Extreme Google Search Fluctuations Continue; Not Penguin But Core Update
- Google: Why It Is So Hard To Confirm All Algorithm Updates
- Google: Some Of Those SEO Weather Tools Pick Up Wrong Signals
- Can SEO Tools Track The Google Weather?
- Google: Recent Spammy Content In Search Results Unrelated To Other Google Updates
- Google News May Ignore Your Sitemap's Timestamp To Avoid Abuse
- Google: Google News Publishers Don't Get A Ranking Boost
- Google Revamps Webmaster Home With New Design & Three New Tools
- Google Search Console Email Settings Changed Notification
- Google Shows AMP Error Report In Google Search Console
- Google: Title Tags Are Not A Critical Ranking Signal
- Google Tests Installing Apps Directly Within The Mobile Search Results
- Live Now: Google Cache Goes HTTPS For HTTPS Sites
- Google Tests Displaying 16 Product Listing Ads On A Single Search Result Page
- Does Google Care About Businesses & Webmasters? Listen For Yourself.
- Google Gary Illyes: Lying Is Not My Cup Of Beer
- Google Paid Apple $1 Billion For iOS Search Partnership