Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Image Search Update : June 2010
A month and a half ago, we reported on a Google Image Search update. It seems there was another update over the weekend. A WebmasterWorld thread has Google Images guru zeus reporting on the update. He said now more and more images that were blocked in moderate search (default filter) is now showing up, and at the same time, the quality is still there. Zeus said: It looks like we have once again gotten more
- Google "Strongly" Recommends Not Using Meta Refresh Redirects
In a Google Webmaster Help thread talks about the different types of redirects Google likes and dislikes. I figured, since I just wrote about using redirects for affiliate links, it would make for a nice subtopic. JohnMu, a Googler, strongly warned against using any type of meta-refresh redirect for any redirects. He said, when redirecting, it should be done on the server side level. Let me quote JohnMu from the thread: I would strongly recommend
- Get Link Value From Your Affiliate Links
Affiliates and SEOs don't always get along, but at the same time, some of the best affiliates are the best SEOs and some of the best SEOs are the best affiliates. They often go hand in hand, but there is often a disconnect between the two. Many SEO affiliates look to maximize their links by making sure those that link to them via affiliate URLs also pass link weight along with it. An excellent "supporters"
- Google Pushing Competitors Via Related AdWords Ads
Ten days ago, we reported Google was testing Google Related AdWords Ads. Google confirmed this was a "beta experiment" that would use "relevant broad match keywords another opportunity to reach their target audience." Emma from Periscopix noticed an update where now the ads are broad matching to competitor trademarks. I personally see it myself now. A search for [Barratts Shoes] shows some ads for Barratts Shoes but also ads for Clarks Shoes and ALDO shoes.
- Google Translate Now With Ads
Websonic reports that Google Translate is now testing display ads. I personally do not see them, but Michel took a picture. This comes with no surprise, there is plenty of screen real estate to monetize there. Do you see ads on Google Translate. Forum discussion at Google Blogoscoped Forums.
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 25, 2010
In this week's recap, I cover how top rankings in Google sends less traffic these days. I go over a possible new Google ranking algorithm tweak from two days ago. Maile Ohye is quotes on the May Day algorithm update. I gave a tip on how to increase your chances of your pages showing up in Rich Snippets. Also, I gave a tip on fixing your post counts in Google. GoogleBot is back to crawling,
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Doodle Sunthorn Phu, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- YouTube Continues To Dominate Online Video Use, WebmasterWorld
- Google and "Gay", Google Blogoscoped Forum
- How Should You Price Your SEO Projects?, Sphinn
- Penalized? Added https, then removed it. Was consistiently top 10, now nowhere, Google Webmaster Help
- Google, Yahoo, YouTube etc. to be monitored for anti-Islamic content in Pakistan, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Share your opinion with us: Performance report, Google Merchant Center Help