Weekly Search Buzz RoundUp - 09/19/08: Live Search & AdWords Update, SEO & More

Sep 19, 2008 - 11:59 am 0 by

search-buzz-roundup.gifHappy Talk Like a Pirate Day! We're celebrating here and we hope you are too. It's year 13 of the holiday, and uh, I don't get it, but AHOY!

Microsoft Search Update Underway

If you visit the Live.com site frequently to check your rankings, you should have observed a search update. Most people are viewing some changes that seem to be pretty substantial.

Google's Biggest Quality Score Change Ever

Your Google Quality Score is now out of 10. If there's anything wrong with your keywords, ad copy, or landing page, you may see lower scores. Want a perfect 10? You can try this.

Google Says that Duplicate Penalties Don't Exist

We all know about the awful duplicate content issue. But did you know that Google has made a stance and said that it doesn't exist? Now you do. It's not really a penalty; instead, Google is essentially choosing the best content to be indexed.

But You Need to Worry About Other Penalties

Google has a patent that shows link penalties, like when you get too many links too quickly. That can happen legitimately, so Google has addressed that concern as well.

Google's Reporting Glitch

Many webmasters were bothered when Google showed HTTP errors but it's been confirmed as a problem. I even think it's fixed now :)

Google Disables the Invisible Site Search Feature

It seems that earlier this week, Google had hidden the site search feature probably because it was a feature that you used to circumvent the site: operator and was invisible to the user this entire time. However, we just discovered that it's working again, so cynics need to be silenced. ;)

I Want Updated Google Maps

I like Google Maps on my phone. I really do. When Google announced updated maps mobile with Street View and Walking Directions, I installed it but it didn't work. Does it work for anyone?

By the way, when it does work, hopefully it will have data for Israel. I'd love to see street view from afar!

What Are the 4% of You Doing?

I really do believe that the 4% of you who claim you never Googled yourselves are full of it. The other 96% of you are normal people. Congratulations.

Google Causes Stock Decline

Last week, the local paper in the city where I grew up was picked up in Google's news archives and caused a huge stock decline. Whose fault is it really, though? Well, we asked you, and most of you blamed it on Google. I must say I disagree; I believe it was the newspaper's fault for putting a story from 2002 on the front page, and they should've immediately addressed it. When they didn't, it became Google's problem, according to 34% of you. Uh, no.

Google Hearts Yahoo and Yahoo Hearts Google

Will Google ads be on Yahoo? It looks like October 11th will be the day that we'll see it live. Will the SEC review it? Maybe before then, maybe afterwards, but there will probably be no flexibility with that start date at this time.

Yahoo Redesign "Live" but Nobody Sees it

Yahoo will be getting more personalized with its new redesign which has been rolled out to select users, or so they say. It looks nice, but I want to try it!

G'day mates!

 

Popular Categories

The Pulse of the search community

Follow

Search Video Recaps

 
Google AI Overviews, Ranking Volatility, Web Filter, Google Ads AI Summaries & More - YouTube
Video Details More Videos Subscribe to Videos

Most Recent Articles

Search Forum Recap

Daily Search Forum Recap: May 22, 2024

May 22, 2024 - 10:00 am
Google Updates

Google Search Ranking Volatility Spike Around May 22

May 22, 2024 - 8:01 am
Google Ads

Google Ads In AI Overviews, AI Shopping Ads, Brand Profile Ads & More AI Ad Tools

May 22, 2024 - 7:51 am
Google Search Engine Optimization

Google & Bing Say Upgrade To WordPress 6.5 To Gain Lastmod Sitemap Support

May 22, 2024 - 7:41 am
Google Search Engine Optimization

Unusual Surge In Google Search Console Product Snippets Search Performance

May 22, 2024 - 7:31 am
Bing Search

Bing Search Testing Tag Filters

May 22, 2024 - 7:21 am
Previous Story: Do You Like Yahoo's New Site Design?