Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Weekly SearchBuzz RoundUp - 08/01/2008: WWW's Birthday, Live Search Redesigned, and Cuil Reviewed/Examined
Can you all believe it's August already? We're almost done with summer! Whoa! But don't get too disappointed. There is still Search Engine Strategies San Jose (which I sadly won't be able to attend) for your summer festivities. (Be sure to save me a Google Dance T-Shirt! Women's XL please or a Men's M!) WWW Birthday Today, if you pulled up Search Engine Roundtable directly (and not from your RSS feed), you'd know that it's
- High Search Rankings = Easy Money
Kevin Gibbons, UK blogger and apparently a fan of the TV show Dragon's Den, blogged about the importance of a high ranking and how people would pay to buy sites that rank that well, especially for competitive terms. In this specific case, the key words "diamond" and "diamond engagement rings" were in positions 9 and 12. Since those organic rankings can yield really high traffic, he was willing to pay 6 digits for it. Or
- High Rankings Forum Turns Five Years Old
Today, we'd like to celebrate a few birthdays. First of all, click on Search Engine Roundtable's link for the one that everyone and their pet fish has heard about. But, on a note possibly closer to home, Jill Whalen reports on High Rankings Forums that it's their fifth birthday! Happy Birthday, Jill, and the High Rankings folks! Forum discussion continues at High Rankings Forums.
- Google Tests "Related" Links Under Individual Search Listings
A select group of webmasters have observed "Related" links under search results. I can't see it myself but Aaron Wall blogged about it, and Barry covered his angle on Search Engine Land. Here's a screenshot: Barry notes the following: It is also interesting to speculate how Google determines to show which related phrases for each result. If you notice, Aaron's seobook.com result shows a related phrase for get more links and if you search in
- Google Analytics Has Several Bugs You Should Know About
I am a huge fan of Google Analytics, but even so, you should be aware of several bugs that have been confirmed by Google. (1) A Google Groups thread confirms that some users are unable to login to Google Analytics, due to a "Redirect Loop." The error message continues to say, "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete...". There errors began to
- AdWordsAdvisor Is Taking A Two Month Leave From Google
AdWordsAdvisor, the official Google AdWords representative at WebmasterWorld, posted a thread at WebmasterWorld announced that he/she will be taking a two month break from Google starting on October 1, 2008 and ending on December 1, 2008. AdWordsAdvisor has been an important member and contributor to WebmasterWorld. AdWordsAdvisor (AWA) has 4,230 posts and started posting over five years ago, on July 9, 2003. But AdWordsAdvisor does have backup now. AWA is seeking a AWA2 to come
- Did Yahoo Fix the Publisher Reports?
For the past few days, we have been covering reporting issues with Yahoo Publisher Network, which showed publishers earnings were about half of what they should be. Yesterday, I reported that Yahoo confirmed the issue as an error and said they fixed it. But did they really? Three publishers posted after YahooPete's post, where Yahoo said it was fixed. These publishers are not convinced. Here are two posts from publishers: It shows my pending balance
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- DigitalPoint AdSense Forum Is Now the BIGGEST!, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google Search Auto-Populate - is this new?, WebmasterWorld
- Google's UK Street View Gets Clearance, With Safeguards, WebmasterWorld
- How To Get New Web Sites To Rank Quickly, Sphinn
- ProBlogger is Banned from StumbleUpon, Sphinn
- Upcoming Google AdWords API Reports Changes: August 19, Google Groups
- Where in the World is the SEO Talent? Part 2, Sphinn