My good friend Adam Audette wrote a great post on the 6 principles of ethical SEO. In his article, he explains:
- Don't do any harm and engage in aggressive techniques. You don't want to hurt their brand.
- Focus on the community and provide valuable information for them.
- Fix problems, even if that means to give your clients the cold, hard truth and information they don't want to hear.
- Internet marketing requires a combination of smaller disciplines to be powerful. Social media alone won't cut it. Neither will SEO.
- Don't only do SEO. Teach it.
- We should build scalable solutions so that the client will continue reaping the rewards of our campaigns.
Adam's post is interesting and a great read in itself. The ensuing discussion is also a good read -- it's all about everyone's individual ethics, and Adam has a lot of great points.
Forum discussion continues at Sphinn.