Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Damage Your Competitors Google Image Rankings With Links
So we see that most SEOs believe a competitor can hurt your search rankings, we also wrote an article on How To Penalize Your Competitor's Site in Google but now we have a new WebmasterWorld thread on image search. The WebmasterWorld thread discusses a major flaw in Google Image search's SafeSearch solution. As we discussed in the past, many people found themselves being filtered out of Google image search, when their images are not adult
- DigitalPoint Forums Suffers Major Outage
DigitalPoint Forums, one of our main sources of search news and topics, is currently suffering a major outage. Since last night, the forum has been offline due to what appears to be database issues. It appears to me, from the VBulleting software error message that the database server is having major issues. Either it was some how disconnected from the web servers or it went offline. Here is the current error message: The database has
- Google Changes The Definition of a Doorway Page
Beu posted a Search Engine Watch Forums thread after noticing that Google has changed the definition they used for what a doorway page is. On the Google Page, it now reads: Doorway pages are typically large sets of poor-quality pages where each page is optimized for a specific keyword or phrase. In many cases, doorway pages are written to rank for a particular phrase and then funnel users to a single destination. Whether deployed across
- Can I Be Penalized if I Have Too Many Links on My Homepage?
A Google Groups user is afraid that his PageRank was impacted because of too many links on his homepage. Before you wonder whether there are search engine penalties, think about those links from a usability perspective. Are they helping your visitor or making it difficult for them? PageRank is not the issue here but more about how users are going to benefit. Even if your links are categorized, if there are too many links, it's
- "Most Dependable" Awards From Inc Magazine or Goldline Research
While I was at SMX West, I received a call from Goldline Research about being on a short list for being awarded one of the "Most Dependable" web development companies in New York. What caught my attention was that this award was supposedly being published in Entrepreneur Magazine, as an editorial article. I was very much into the idea, until I heard there was a fee if I was actually selected. Then I started to
- Is Google Violating a Privacy Law in California?
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 1, 2008
Last week was Memorial Day and I showed off the logos, minus Googles'. I discussed a Yahoo update, which went unnoticed. I explained how Google dropped .info TLDs and Blogspot blogs. I begged you to take my nofollow poll. Did you know that embedding YouTube videos can help your Google rankings. Google doesn't recommend using keyword inserting in your display URL. Google changed their favorite icon. SMX Advanced is this week and we got you
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Ad Manager Release Notes - May 2008, Google Groups
- Google Docs AUTO-COMPLETE WREAKING HAVOC!, Google Groups
- Google's Data Center Info, Estimates At 200,000 Servers, WebmasterWorld
- Microsoft's unit Fast Search , WebmasterWorld
- Carrie Hill New Mod For Small Business Marketing Thread, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Sitelinks Information - a reference thread, WebmasterWorld