Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Monday: The Biggest Pay Day For Google AdSense Publishers
A few weeks ago, I ran a poll asking Which Day Do You Make Most Your Google AdSense Income? We now have 92 responses, over the course of the week and most people voted that Monday they earned the most revenue on average from Google AdSense. Note that this is a very small sampling. I am not surprised that Saturdays and Fridays are the smallest earning days for publishers (being a publisher myself). I
- The Link Farm: How Does Google Define a Link Farm?
A Google Groups thread has a long discussion on how Google defines what a link farm is or is not. I have decided to isolate a Googler's comment, because who can best define what Google feels a link farm is, better then a Google employee? JohnMu, a Google Webmaster Trends Analyst, posted twice in the thread. The second time he offered additional advice on how he would define a link farm. He said: A good
- Google AdSense Test Four Text Ads In Large Rectangle Unit
Honestly, I am not sure if this is brand new, but a DigitalPoint Forums thread reports the Large Rectangle (336 x 280) unit as having four text ads within it as new. Here is a screen capture of the ad unit: A typical ad unit looks like what you see listed on the Google AdSense ad formats page. I.e. four lines of ads and not four boxes of ads. Here is a live ad from
- How Do You Tell Google that You're a UK Site?
A WebmasterWorld member says that his .com, which has a UK IP address (and is for the United Kingdom audience), is not being recognized as a UK-specific site even though he updated Google Webmaster Tools and informed Google of the geographic location of the site. He ranks #5 in Google.com but #149 in Google.co.uk. (For reasons like this, I just wish .co.uk was the default domain in Google and that there wasn't a landrush for
- Google AdSense & AdWords Reporting Still Showing Incorrect Data After Over 24 Hours
Starting at about 5am (EST) yesterday, I have been noticing reports in the forums about Google being slow to update both the AdSense reports and the AdWords reports. The two largest threads discussing the issues can be found at WebmasterWorld and Google Groups, but there are plenty of other threads throughout the forums with complaints. Again, first reports came in at about 5am (EST) yesterday and the issues have still not been resolved. We do
- Storybids Launched to Pair Creatives with Product Advertisers
RustyBrick, the company that runs Search Engine Roundtable, is pleased to announce that we finished launching the infrastructure of Storybids, a really unique service offering that enables video producers to monetize their videos through product placement techniques. In other words, those who want to get products some product placement exposure are now able to connect directly with video producers to advertise their product through the Storybids auction platform. Here's how it works. It's a really
- Yahoo and McAfee Partner to Give Users SearchScan
Yahoo has announced on its blog that since security is so important, together with McAfee, Yahoo has launched SearchScan to protect web surfers from sites that contain malicious software such as viruses or software and spam. If you do a search for a phrase like "screensaver," you'll see the tool in action: While the solution is great for security, forum members wonder why the questionable results have to be indexed at all. There are a
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Calling all UK Adword advertisers!! AdWords VAT UK Refund??, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google Docs: Multi-size embedding and multi-select now available in presentations!, Google Groups
- Google News now suggests related searches, DigitalPoint Forums
- How to Steal Competitors' Keywords While Protecting Your Own, Sphinn
- Invited to join affiliate program but banned from Yahoo search, WebmasterWorld
- Length Of Domain Registration, HighRankings Forums
- Sphinn - Deterring Spam Whilst Rewarding Great Stories, Sphinn