Google Caffeine Unofficially Live on 80% of Google Data Centers?

Apr 23, 2010 • 8:38 am | comments (12) by twitter Google+ | Filed Under Google Search Engine Optimization

We have covered the Google Caffeine index update at exhaustion here. So I won't summarize all the times people thought it was live and all the times we saw issues with what appeared to be Caffeine. If you like, scan through our archives.

An updated WebmasterWorld thread has many convince webmasters and SEOs saying Caffeine is live in the majority of Google's data centers. Senior member, whitenight said:

For the UNOFFICIAL record, I'm calling Caffeine UNOFFICIALLY launched.


** It's on 80% of all DCs. The remaining 20% have been getting Caff datasets flickering for the past 24-48 hours. The "old" SERPs and Algo are now the minority.

** At the time, I couldn't be bothered to post and then argue with the masses, but the INFRASTRUCTURE (NOT datasets) has been fully live and operational for ALL DCs for about a week and half now.

since testing the INFRASTRUCTURE is far more complicated than observing datasets, you'll forgive me if i don't give any practical examples... other than pointing out i've given past examples of how ANYONE can do this on their own in the earliest Caff threads.

Got all that? But another senior member, walkman, said that although it may be on 80% of the data centers, maybe the 20% of those data centers that it is not on get's more traffic? I don't think it works that way... But he said:

I agree that it's on almost all but strangely I have checked on, www2 and www3 with several googledance tools and in my own area and I don't see it there. Maybe those 20% of DCs without the caffeine are getting more traffic?

It has been a really long time since Google or Matt did a post on Matt's blog or Google's blog about the status. Maybe it is a good time to just check in and say, here is where we are and where we see we are going in the next 3 to 6 months? Or maybe SEOs and webmasters should stop obsessing over it?

Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.

Previous story: Google's St. George's Day In UK & Children's Day In Turkey Logos


Michael Martinez

04/23/2010 05:15 pm

They're so full of crap it's a wonder they don't explode.

No Name

04/23/2010 07:03 pm

Last I heard regarding this was that nothing will happen until Jan 2010. They wanted everybody to have nice Xmas I guess :). Maybe it's already live and no major shakeup ever happened. I do remember MC saying that most people/webmasters wont even notice the changes.


04/23/2010 08:10 pm

I've been monitoring my rankings on several SERPs for the last 8 months, on several Google data centers in more than one continent. Ofcourse, I have limited data on just a handful of keywords, and certainly not all data centers, but I believe I have enough data to make out some kind of pattern. From my data I can only deduce that Caffeine went online on April 1. On that day things changed drastically across the board, and didn't change back since. All this time I simply thought that the April-fools reports of Caffeine going live were serious, because it fits the evidence I have... Anyone has evidence that this is not true?

No Name

04/23/2010 10:13 pm

If you look in your webmaster tools, you'll see a spike about the middle of April of how many pages and how much bandwidth Google Bot has used of your websites. I believe that is the only evidence I have of when Google might have launched Caffeine.


04/25/2010 02:49 pm

@NoName: I had a spike at mid April too, but the same kind of spike appeared mid January, and mid October before that, so I'm lead to believe there's some kind of re-crawl of my website every 3 months (pretty much as soon as the previous spike disappears to the left of the graph) My conclusion was that this has nothing to do with Caffeine, and it's just normal indexing.

haseeb najam

04/26/2010 03:36 am

@ Ilan Indeed Caffeine went live on April 1st but it was reverted within 3 days. After then on 15 April, same thing happened again...Now all the data centers are showing the same stable results. But the results are not new. They are old but stable.

No Name

04/26/2010 10:29 am

This is the reason for reduce the page index numbers?


04/26/2010 10:33 pm

I'm so over it. My bet is that a few months from now, Matt Cutts or some other Googler will pop up and say, "Oh, by the way, Caffeine has been live since New Years." Or somesuch, much like they did with rel=nofollow.

Stan Maple

04/27/2010 09:38 pm

Caffeine is not live. Google is still lazy like hell compare to Caffeine.

Pete Kosednar

04/28/2010 11:25 am

Search is coming up different over here. I am thinking it's part of Google Caffeine.

Mike O'Brien

04/29/2010 11:39 am

I see major changes in Au as from this morning for both and .au


05/11/2010 10:20 am

I believe Google caffeine is live in practically all data centers now, i.e. everywhere around the globe now.

blog comments powered by Disqus