Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- My 5,000th Post at the Search Engine Roundtable
Can you believe it, this post is my 5,000th article here at the Search Engine Roundtable. I started writing here on December 2nd, 2003 - just under four years ago - and have kept up with it since. On average, I have written just about 5 posts per work-day. There are times where I have written on weekends or holidays, which skew the data slightly to show 4.7519 posts per day where I have written
- Can Multiple Hyphens in the Domain Name Raise a Red Flag with Search Engines?
A DigitalPoint Forums thread asks, can multiple hyphens in a domain name raise a red flag with a search engine? For example, if you have a domain name that is something like www.buy-shoes-now-online-for-cheap.com, would that type of domain raise a red flag with a search engine and warrant a manual review? In fact, we discussed specific examples of sites with this issue back April 2005 and also wrote about a mystical Hyphen Filter in May
- Reviewal Time Frame for Google Image Ads
A Google Groups thread asks how long does it take to get an image ad reviewed and accepted within Google AdWords. AdWordsPro explains there is no specific date or time frame for image ads. It depends on current volume, the number of submissions, the type of ad and what day and time it is. It is hard to give a 'typical time-to-approve' answer, since this can depend on how many ads are being submitted, the
- Do Search Engines Prefer Default or Custom 404 Error Pages?
What is better? A custom 404 page or a generic one? In 2004, Barry wrote that a custom 404 page is a "must have" for usability purposes. That's so true. But what about search engines? A forum member asks, would a generic 404 page be construed as duplicate content? Well, first of all, if you're using a generic 404, who cares if it's duplicate content? 404 pages are not "content" though. They are "Error not
- Can You Earn Money in AdSense Revenue Sharing Forums?
Back in May 2004, DigitalPoint Forums opened a revenue sharing program that enabled the members share in the Google AdSense revenue earned in the forums. At that time, the idea was unique - Shawn Hogan coded his AdSense system to work with member's Google AdSense publisher IDs. If that member started a thread, his publisher ID would show up 50% of the time when ads are displayed. A DigitalPoint Forums thread asks members of the
- Google to Release Online Storage Service
Rumors all over the Internet are talking about a possible Google online storage service that will be launching in the upcoming months. The Wall Street Journal reports that it will have free and paid options. There's no confirmation from Google at all on these services, but it looks like it could possibly occur. The online service, code-named "GDrive" or "Platypus," has been seen on Googlers' desktops: So now, what will it be? And what do
- Google Launches Campaign Templates for AdWords My Client Center Accounts
Kevin Gibbons spotted some new changes to the Google AdWords Client Center for multiple account management. It appears that you can now create a template and share them with multiple accounts, making it easier so you don't have to port all the changes from one account to another by hand or with a software application. I'm not even seeing this in the AdWords FAQ yet, so it looks quite new. Kevin has fortunately showed us
- 7 Mistakes from a Social News Moderator's Perspective
One day, Matt McGee decided to take a deep look at Sphinn (as a moderator) and acknowledged 7 recurring mistakes that continually happen on the booming social news network. He listed them out and encouraged users to be distinct, different, and unique. Here's what you should avoid when pitching to a site like Sphinn or another type of social news website: Avoid sales pitches disguised as "good content." Don't submit your entire website. Social news
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- 30 Days On Adsense And Booted For:, Cre8asite Forums
- First Page In Google One Week No Where The Next, HighRankings Forums
- Block Googlebot, allow AdSense?, WebmasterWorld
- Can Yahoo Structured Search Beat Google?, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google Adds Custom Search to International Webmaster Central, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Let's Write A Keyword Research Tool, Cre8asite Forums
- Same text in <title> as <meta description>, WebmasterWorld
- What do you track to measure SEO?, Search Engine Watch Forums
- One Big Page vs Several Smaller Pages, WebProWorld