Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today (and yesterday), through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Weekly Search Buzz Roundup - 11/23/07: Thanksgiving, PageRank Drops Again & Reaction to Google AdSense Clickable Areas
Now that most of you are stuffed with Turkey and are probably lounging around and buying really cheap discounts (and not working this lovely Friday), it's time to review the week in search. Fortunately, I'm doing the work for you, so just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Thanksgiving in Searchville Yesterday was Thanksgiving. The search engines celebrated, and a few forums did too. We're still sporting our Thanksgiving theme for the next few
- Design Your Website with SEO in Mind, Not After
Sometimes people build sites without considering SEO. While this is typically what webmasters who don't know about SEO do, it's not the best way to get things done because the site will need to be modified heavily. A Cre8asite Forums member did this and now has to start over: first, he registered his site with Google Webmaster Tools, and then he did some updates to the copy. What's next? Well, yes, while this is definitely
- How to Add Email Addresses to Your Google Accounts
If you're worried about security and want to give your Google accounts some extra padding; that is, you want to have a backup email address associated with your account just in case, you can now do so. Google Groups Guide 2 has written in Google Groups about how it's done: To add an email address to a Google Account, follow the link below and add an additional email to the account listed under "Google account".
- Google Replaces "Video" Link with "Products" Link on Main Page
Have you noticed Google's homepage lately? Instead of the "Video" link, you'll now see "Products" instead. This must be Google's official acknowledgment of the holiday season. :) Philipp Lenssen has more. Forum discussion: Search Engine Watch Forums.
- Google Updates Webmaster Guidelines: Selling Links is Evil
John Honeck discovered new wording in Google's Webmaster Guidelines that reflects how Google views paid links. He reported his findings to Philipp Lenssen, who noticed the following change (italicized): Buying or selling links that pass PageRank is in violation of Googleâ€™s webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact a siteâ€™s ranking in search results. It looks like Google is now strictly enforcing rules that will penalize webmasters who sell links. Do you think anything will change?
- Google AdSense Publishers React to Thanksgiving Day Slump
A WebmasterWorld and DigitalPoint Forums threads have discussion from Google AdSense publishers on how their earnings and statistics were impacted by the American holiday, Thanksgiving Day. Many AdSense publishers reported huge drops in traffic and earnings on those days. Some said earnings were down by more than half. Some reported their earnings dropped due to their traffic dropping. Who made money on this day, those who were writing about the Thanksgiving theme? In any event,
- Google Confirms Again that Shared IPs Are Just as Good as Dedicated IPs
In the SEO world, the topic of shared versus dedicated IPs has always been a controversial topic. Some SEOs demand a site to be on an IP address all by itself, while others simply do not care. A Google Groups thread renews this debate but gives us, yet again, a confirmation from Google that shared vs dedicated IPs are just fine. Official Googler, Berghausen, said: Lots of sites are hosted on shared IPs. If this
- Google Accidently Send Out AdSense Tax Updates Via Email?
There are dozens of reports via WebmasterWorld that Google has sent out emails to their publishers telling them they must update their tax information. The subject of the email was "Action Required: Please update your tax information" and it was sent yesterday, on Thanksgiving. The email stated that these publisher's tax-identification number (TIN) and the taxpayer name do not coincide/match. The emails did not appear to be phising scams, because the URLs did send the
- Google Adds More AdSense Support Reps to Google Groups
Google AdSense publishers are in luck. Google has added two more representatives to aid the current AdSensePro representative in the AdSense Help Google Group. AdSense Pro announced in a Google Groups thread that they have added AdSensePro Ashley and AdSensePro Jordan to aid in the communication and guidance from Google on AdSense topics. AdSensePro Ashley is based in the Google Dublin, Ireland office and will focus on supporting UK English publishers. AdSensePro Jordan is based
- Thanksgiving 2007 from Google, Yahoo, Ask.com, Dogpile & The Search Industry
Today is one of my most favorite holidays, Thanksgiving! This will probably be our only post today, but I wanted to share the logos and search forum threads from around the search industry. We have logos from Google, Yahoo, Ask.com, Dogpile, Cre8asite Forums, our site and many others! Here is a run down: Ask.com dressed up their home page: Dogpile goes cute: Here is Google: Yahoo has a Flash logo and a static, here is
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Sitemap - What is "Priority" ??, SitePoint Forums
- Incoming links from splogs - what should I do?, DigitalPoint Forums
- Indexing lots of dynamic pages which only have short lifespan., WebmasterWorld
- AdSense Video Ad Units Coming to UK, Ireland And Canada, WebmasterWorld
- Duplicate Content Issue For A International Site, Cre8asite Forums
- Google Showing BBCode and deprecated HTML tags, WebmasterWorld
- My backlinks have been devalued?, WebmasterWorld
- November 21, 2007: One Month On From The Glitch, WebmasterWorld
- Python Code Samples Updated, Google Groups
- Welcome To Yuwie, Cre8asite Forums