This week in search was a bit calmer as the search results didn’t fluctuation as much in Google. Google’s Matt Cutts explained why he thinks there was so much fluctuation in January, because of a code freeze. Google published a new Google Webmaster Guidelines document and we documented the changes. Google said it can take a really long time for images to be updated in their index. Google said they plan to add JSON-LD for rich snippets. Google said valid HTML not required for ranking but helps with structured data and mobile friendliness. Google said they will step up structured data support this year. Google said links in footers and sitewides are weighted less. No need to nofollow the related post widgets on your site. Google said outbound links are not a ranking factor. Google will pick the shorter URL for canonicalization. Google said write your reconsideration requests in the web site language. Google is sending AMP notifications via the Search Console. Google AdWords added formula support to custom columns. Google AdWords launched their iOS app this week. Some Google AdSense publishers are still waiting to be paid. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Clear Skies & Relaxing Weekend In Terms Of Google Fluctuations
- Matt Cutts: Google Core Updates Were So Drastic Due To End Of Year Code Freeze
- The New Google Webmaster Guidelines Are Now Live
- What Changed In The Google Webmaster Guidelines
- Google: Updating Images Can Take Months; We Don't Index Them Frequently
- Google To Add JSON-LD Support For Rich Snippets
- Google: Valid HTML Not Required For Ranking But Can Hurt Structured Data & Mobile Friendliness
- Google To Step Up Structured Data Support Over The Year
- Google: Links In Footers Or Sitewides Are Not Given That Much Weight
- Google: Nofollow Unnecessary For Related Post Blog Links
- Google: Outbound Links Are Not A Ranking Factor
- Google: We Pick Shorter URLs For Canonicalization
- Google: Write Your Reconsideration Requests In Your Web Site's Native Language Or Else...
- Google Sending Notifications Via Search Console To Go AMP
- Google AdWords Adds Custom Formulas Support To Custom Columns
- Google AdWords iOS App Officially Launches
- Many Google AdSense Publishers Still Waiting For Their January Payments