Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: August 15, 2014
I ran through tons of topics in less than 10 minutes in this weeks search video recap. I covered the huge fluctuations going on this whole week in Google's search results...
- Is Google Launching Penguin 3 Today?
We know it has been over 10 months since Google launched a Penguin update and Google explained it is complicated to just refresh it. But this morning, in a Google+ Hangout, John Mueller kind of hinted that it is coming really soon. He talked about it at 21 minutes and 40 seconds into the video. He said "engineers are working on" and admits it has "been quiet a while" but said it is "not that far away" but it is "not launching this morning." But are you sure? Maybe this afternoon? Google likes launching these larger algorithms late Friday afternoons.
- Why Do Google Manual Actions Return: A Bug, Error Or Penalty?
Jennifer Slegg posted an interesting case of a manual action being revoked and then the same day reappearing and then being revoked again. Interestingly enough...
- Bing Search Now Conversational
Bing announced they now have conversational search, similar to how to how Google introduced it over a year ago. I tested it out search for [who is the president of russia?]
- Google AdWords Exact Match Now Matches On All Plurals, Misspellings, Etc.
Google AdWords announced last night that they are now dropping the option to opt out of close variants for exact match keywords. That means, Google will match your exact match keywords for plurals, misspellings and other close variants - even if you didn't want it...
- Security Certificate Companies Promoting Google's HTTPS Algorithm
It has been about a week since Google announced their new HTTPS ranking signal and the security SSL certificate companies have begun promoting this fact to prospective customers...
- Google AdWords Tests New Hotel Ad Booking Format
Moz reports on Google+ that Google is testing yet another AdWords format, this one around nearby hotels. Here is a search for [boca raton resort] that normally brings up a carousel at the top of the page but here...
- Google London Massage Rooms
Daniel Waisberg from the Google Analytics team posted a picture of new massage rooms Google added to their London office. As you may know, Google, since its inception, was very big into giving employe
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- #AskAdWords - Setting up Location Extensions with ..., AdWords Community
- Announcing new TC's and Rising Stars, AdWords Community
- Fixing Local Information Via Google Mapmaker: It Works!, Cre8asite Forums
- Is Google Really Smart?, blackhatworld.com
- Link Echoes (aka Link Ghosts) Appear to Be Consistent Parts of Google's Ranking…, Google+ - Rand Fishkin
- New Commercial Sites Quickly Rising in SERPs, WebmasterWorld