Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google News Updates Algorithm & Drops Many Publishers?
Over the past few weeks, I have seen an influx of both complaints about Google News Spam and publishers being dropped out of the Google News index. I honestly felt they went hand in hand. I'll point out two threads at Google News Help Forums. The first mentions a tweet by Googler Matt Cutts who said: The news folks are actually starting a nice crackdown on low-quality/spammy news sources. People have been asking for Google
- Google's Rosa Parks Logo & Yahoo's AIDS Day Logo
If you visit Google today, you will see a special logo for Rosa Parks. The logo is of kids near a bus and adults on the bus. The text behind the logo reads, "55th Anniversary: Rosa Parks refuses to move." When you click on the logo, you are taken to a search result in Google for [rosa parks]. It is not her birthday, she was born in 1913 on February 4th. Today, on December 1,
- Google Instant Previews Loading AdSense?
Google launched the new instant previews in early November. Since then, we have seen it cause some serious damage in Google Analytics, but now I see reports of people claiming it is damaging their AdSense ads. A WebmasterWorld thread has one person claiming he sees some AdSense ads being displayed in the Google Instant previews. If they are, it may mean that those ads are being fetched and counted on some cases when someone mouses
- Google May Add META NOINDEX Details To Google Webmaster Tools Report
A Google Webmaster Help thread has a suggestion from a webmaster. The suggestion is to add pages blocked in the diagnostic > crawl errors report for pages blocked by the META NOINDEX. Currently, Google will display pages blocked for multiple of reasons, including restricted by robots.txt but it won't show the pages blocked by the META NOINDEX tag. Susan Moskwa, Webmaster Trends Analyst from Kirkland, WA Google office, said: Thanks for the suggestion, BJF-NJ; I
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- EU launches antitrust probe into alleged Google abuses, WebmasterWorld
- EU opens antitrust investigation into Google, DigitalPoint Forums
- Doodle National Day Romania, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- E-Commerce SEO - What To Do With Dead Product Pages?, Sphinn
- Google Transit Dutch, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Yes, Google Knows You Have Bad Reviews -- And Maybe That'll Hurt You, In The Future, Sphinn