Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Wants You To Tell Them Which Books Are Public Domain
There are two or more threads at the Google Book Search Help forum on the topic of making more books "full view" accessible. Full View is only available for books that are "out of copyright, or if the publisher or author has asked to make the book fully viewable." The Full View allows you to view any page from the book, and if the book is in the public domain, you can download, save and
- Some Reports of September 2010 Google PageRank Update
There are some, not wide spread reports, of a Google PageRank update at WebmasterWorld and DigitalPoint Forums. Not everyone is agreeing on this, but there are enough people saying their PageRank values in the Google Toolbar has changed. Some are saying they see gray bars and some are saying their PageRank is up or down a point. The last PageRank update we had was in July 2010, so I believe we are due an update
- Poll: Google Instant Sending Less Traffic To Your Site?
There are some reports via Google Webmaster Help that some webmasters are noticing huge drops in referrals from Google since the Google Instant feature came out. We all know that Google Instant has no impact on the ranking of search results on the Google search result page. But Google Instant does influence the types of queries people type in. So it may change how people search for buying, researching or navigating to web sites. The
- Study On What Link Building Works in 2010
Tim Grice published a summary of a study he completed named Anchor Text Has Lost Its Edge. Let me summarize in bullet format: Building a strong domain is far more important than anchor text.Get links to all your pages, not just home page.Get links from a diverse set of sitesToo many sitewide links don't helpUse of same anchor text for all your links over and over again doesn't helpMake sure many of your links use
- How Jessie Lunderby & Google Instant Can't "Get You Fired"
With the launch of Google Instant Google knows what you are searching for before you even search. Or does it? A disgruntled searcher posted a complaint in the Google Web Search Help forums saying that Google's new Instant feature can get you fired. How so? He said he was doing a search for Jessie James but as he was typing the word Jessie, up came results and images of Jessie Lunderby, the playboy model. He
- Google Chrome's Deadly Skull & Crossbones Security Warning
With the latest version (version 6) of Google Chrome when you stumble upon an insecure web site, Google may show you a picture of a red skull and crossbones in the address bar. Here is a picture of what it may look like: There is a thread at the Google Chrome Help forum with tons of complaints. One person said, "I wish they would change it back. The skull and crossbones looks way too serious."
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Instant in Google Chrome - Automated requests, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- [Logo] Fujio Akatsuka, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google using Whois data for Custom Search set-up?, WebmasterWorld
- Google's Biggest Ever Mistake?, Sphinn
- how do I download the google logo (bouncing balls)?, Google Web Search Help
- Major Google Fluctuations At Beginning Of Each Month, HighRankings Forums
- When will the "inside the store" photos be posted in street view?, Google Maps Help