Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: August 20, 2010
This week I covered two interesting Google anomalies. The first is where brand type queries are showing mostly results from that brand's domain. The second is Google is showing only Google pages for some search results. The big news this week is that Bing is now powering Yahoo fully in the U.S. and Canada. With that, Site Explorer, BOSS and Search Monkey are changing. Google added a new way to verify you site in Google
- SEOs & Webmasters Complaining About Google's Canonical Tag?
About a year and a half ago, Google released the canonical tag. In summary, it is basically a special snippet of code you place on your page that does a 301 redirect without physically redirecting people, instead it redirects search bots. In December, they expanded the use of this tag to support cross-domain canonical tag usage, as opposed to just using the tag internally. Personally, I have just used the canonical tag internally, never applied
- Does Google AdSense Automatically Show Your Best Color Ad?
A WebmasterWorld thread has Google AdSense publishers wondering if Google automatically shows the best performing ad color. As you know, you can allow Google to rotate the AdSense color templates for you. But is that purely random or is Google showing your best color? Most publishers suspect Google automatically shows the best performing colors. Netmeg said: I always just assumed they rotated them. It's a good question. The help document on this say sit is
- Google Lets You Verify Your Site in Webmaster Tools With Google Analytics Code
- Bing News Sends Nice Traffic & Can Be Delayed
When it comes to news search engines, it seems like all we talk about is Google News and rarely Yahoo or Bing News. I spotted a WebmasterWorld thread with a rare post by someone included in the Bing News index. The publisher said, "My site has just been indexed in Bing News. And I like it." He said he didn't request to get listed in Bing News, which, by the way, doesn't work. He was
- SES San Francisco 2010 Coverage Recap
Search Engine Strategies San Francisco is now over and I wanted to recap the sessions we covered over the past three days. But first, I wanted to thank our live blog volunteers. Keri Morgret of MyNextCustomer, Ben Pfeiffer & Shanon Woodruff of RankSmart did an outstanding job covering the sessions. I hope you enjoyed the coverage and I wanted to give a big thank you to them. We covered about 35 sessions and here they
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Ddeveloper preview of the Chrome Web Store, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Finally Worked Out What The B****rds Are Doing, Cre8asite Forums
- H1 Treated Equal As H2, HighRankings Forums
- New! - Official YouTube Charts, YouTube Help
- Rand's Getting More Worried about the Effectiveness of Webspam, Sphinn
- Search Engine Traffic Drops: How to Diagnose and Fix the Problem, Sphinn
- Statement - Good SEO really works!, Google Webmaster Help
- Upload Stuck on One Frame - Only 3 Seconds Long, YouTube Help