Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Closer Google AdWords Increasing Ad Clicks & Decreasing Organic Clicks?
On August 6th, we reported how Google was pushing the AdWords ads nearer to the organic listings in some browsers. I illustrated the change in a short movie, so that it is crystal clear how much of an impact it makes. A couple days ago, SearchViews.com released a report that said this change has resulted in a 15% increase in the click-through rate on their ads. 14.47% over the 11 day period, to be exact.
- Former Googlers Spamming Site Competitors To Beat Them In Google Search Results?
A Google Webmaster Help thread has one 'lurker' reporting that an ex-Googler is using spam tactics to both threaten and intentionally hurt his site. By hurt his site, the ex-Googler is allegedly using hacking and injection techniques to push the site out of the Google search results, thus boosting the ranking for his (the alleged ex-Googler) in the Google search results. This is a bit hard to believe, but who knows - anything is possible.
- Bing Mobile's Language Bug & How To Fix It
Some users have noticed a bug with Bing Mobile at m.bing.com, where Microsoft is loading the wrong language for that user. Microsoft confirmed the bug as a "language display bug" in the Bing Forums. An apparent Microsoft Bing representative listed out the issue as: We have a known issue that affects a small percentage of people using Bing on their mobile devices, where Bing shows up in the wrong language. Microsoft both notes how you
- Don't Want Your Social Security Number or Identity Card Number On Google?
This might be clearly obvious to 99.999% of you out there, but there are some of you who don't get it. If you do not want your personal information found in Google, then don't post that information on the Internet. I cannot tell you how many times I see people complaining in the various forums, as well in the comments here, that they do not want Google to list such information about them in the
- AdWords API Users, Start Testing The New AdWords API v2009 Now
I hate it when I read threads of Google AdWords API users who found out too late that the API they have integrated their software with no longer works and that they either lose money or time due to not having the right data (or any data) sent back from the API. This is why Google and blogs like this, give you guys fair notice that you should start coding and testing the new AdWords
- Did Microsoft Finally Fix The Fake Referrer Spam Issue?
Brett Yount from Microsoft's Bing Webmaster team has commented here and in a Bing Forum thread saying the issue with the fake referrers being generated by MSNBot has finally been fixed. By finally, I mean, an issue dating back over two years. Brett said: Thanks to our webmaster community and followers we are happy to share an update to the referrer issue that you may have heard or read about recently. First of all, weâ€™d
- Google's Michael Jackson Logo Sparks Debate
The Google Logo (Doodle) today is for Michael Jackson's 51st birthday. Yes, Jackson died recently and an outpour of support was felt around the world. Google actually has taken some negative PR due to not having a logo up for the day of his funeral (I didn't write about it, but trust me, there were threads about it). Here is the logo on Google today: As I said in the title, there are people who
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- comScore: July, U.S. Online Video Reaches Over 21Billion Views, WebmasterWorld
- How do we win when Google is loving really bad SEO?, WebmasterWorld
- Why generalizations in SEO targeting just don't work, Sphinn
- "Send to" feature not working for me, Google Reader Help
- Blended Results, QDF and User Intention at Google, WebmasterWorld
- Interviews - Content Development Tactics, WebmasterWorld
- On searching for "caffeine", Google places itself at #2, WebmasterWorld
- SEO Mythbusters: “Do You Need Lots Of Content?”, Sphinn
- When searching for Krucial Kids Toy Company - search result came up with Preteens kids sex nudes - 11436 files, Google Web Search Help
- Drupal's Affect On Seo?, HighRankings Forums
- Surviving and Thriving as an E-commerce SEO, Sphinn