Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Super Bowl 43 & Groundhog Day Logos from Search Engines
Today is Groundhog day and some search engines have a special logo for the day. While some are still sporting Super Bowl 43 themes, from one of the best Super Bowls ever played. Let's start with AOL's flash logo for Groundhog day: Also, Dogpile has an animated GIF logo, but here is a static version: We have a Groundhog Day theme: Dogpile had a Super Bowl theme: YouTube still has a special logo live for
- Google Switching To AJAX Search Result Pages?
The SEO Smackdown blog reports that they noticed Google switching "completely" to AJAX based search results. This can put a huge damper in rank checking tools, that scrap the Google search results. Most people are not seeing the Google search results pages render in AJAX, not yet at least. But if this does happen, we can start hearing scandals of rank checking software being blocked by Google again. It turns out, what was blocking them
- Google Docs Spam: Hundreds of Unwanted Documents Showing Up
It seems like spammers finally got around to spamming Google Docs. We have confirmed reports at Google Docs Help discussions where some Google users have reported receiving hundreds of unwanted documents in their Google accounts. Here is the complaint: Someone shared a doc (unwanted) with me and a few hundred other people. Now, every day I log in, there are about 20 new copies of it with various new names, also shared with the same
- Google Sending Out Incorrect 1099 to AdSense Publishers?
It is that time of the year again, tax season and Google began sending out 1099s to their publishers. But some publishers are reporting that the earnings stated on the 1099s differ from the actual earnings. A publisher in a WebmasterWorld thread said the 1099 only showed earnings of 12% of what he actually earned with Google in 2008. While a Google AdSense Help thread has another publisher saying his 1099 shows higher earnings then
- Google AdWords Testings New Bulk Keyword Diagnose Tools
A reader, Kasia Bauer, informed me that Google AdWords is testing out a new tool to expand the Google diagnoses or analysis tool. Typically, if you want to see the quality factors of a keyword, you hover your mouse over each keyword and it will show you some details, where you can then click to drill down into more details. This is a keyword, by keyword activity. The way this is currently done, is by
- Switching Design Companies, Remember To Remove Their Webmaster Tools Access
A site owner has confirmed reports from a Google Webmaster Help discussion thread that his site was completely removed from the Google index by his previous webmaster. It seems like this previous webmaster was upset with the site owner and when they parted ways, the site owner forgot to remove the previous webmaster's access to Google Webmaster Tools. Then the previous webmaster decided to use the Google removal tool to drop the site out of
- Google Labeled My Site: "This site may harm your computer"
If you conducted a Google search between 9:30am and 10:25 am (EST) on Saturday, January 31st, you would have seen Google label all the search results as "This site may harm your computer." Google admitted it was a human mistake. How did it happen? Here is how Google explained it: We maintain a list of such sites through both manual and automated methods. We work with a non-profit called StopBadware.org to come up with criteria
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Include Clearly Tagged Facts in the Description, WebmasterWorld
- How do I make a complaint against an incompantant Google staff member, Google AdWords Help
- Paid Sites Dropped in Yahoo! Directory, WebmasterWorld
- You have Incentive Based ads.. Oh yes you do!, Search Engine Watch Forums
- The powers that be at - DMOZ, Google Webmaster Help
- All eNom name servers are down - Google can't spider, WebmasterWorld
- Disaster After Seo Success!, HighRankings Forums
- Dried Plums Vs. Prunes: Which Do You Prefer?, HighRankings Forums
- Yahoo! Briefcase shutting down on March 30th, DigitalPoint Forums