Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Is Offering One-Time Search Engine Optimization Advice a Viable Business Model?
A Cre8asite Forums thread discusses the ramifications of giving out SEO for a fee on a one-time basis rather than having a long-term consulting project. Not all individuals are equipped to handle lengthy engagements nor do they really have the time. Is it worth it, then, to give advice to people who don't know how to manage their sites to explain that their visibility is at a complete minimum? Absolutely. EGOL explains that he's already
- The Warmth of the SEM Industry During Hard Times
What does one in this industry do when they find out that one of their own is out of a job? In most industries, everyone just says "sorry" and then they go on about their day. But not on Search Engine Watch Forums. Long-standing member abbottsys is about to close a door on a job he's had for awhile but forum members are keeping his spirits up. Even AdWordsRep has recounted memories of a not-so-plentiful
- Google's Blogger Warning Notification Blocks Search Engine Spiders
- Google's Video Crawler Not Respecting Robots.txt Directives?
It seems like we have confirmed reports from a Googler in Google Groups that Google's video crawler, part of the GoogleBot family, is not playing nice. In short, even though you may be telling Google not to crawl your videos, they will anyway. One person said it has been going on for 1.5 months already and he has no idea what else to do. JohnMu from Google apologized saying: I've passed this on to the
- How Does Changing Your Navigational Links To Rich Keywords Impact Rankings?
Senior WebmasterWorld member, CainIV, has been running an experiment for just about two months now. The experiment is to test to see how changing your navigation links from "home," to a keyword, to another keyword, can impact your rankings. Yes, this experiment is an internal linking strategy test. The WebmasterWorld thread is here and it started by on October 1st. It is now December 1st, and CainIV is sharing some results. He said: I have
- Google Testing Multiple Text Ads On Image Search
I am hearing reports from Search Engine Watch Forums that Google is now testing text ad formats for ads on Google Image search. You can see two screen captures of this in action, one at AccuraCast.com and the other at Michael Gray's blog. In the most recent ads on Google image search we saw image or banner ads on image search. Now it appears Google is going back to the more textual based ad format.
- Google Still Offering Search Tips, Use Your Keyboard
A WebmasterWorld thread reports that Google is still offering search tips to help searchers become more efficient searchers. In short, Google offered what they call a "tip" at the top of the search results, directly above the organic results. The tip read: Tip: hit return instead of clicking on the search button to save time. I tried to duplicate this tip by searching over and over again and clicking on the search button, but I
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- SEO Bailout Proposed, Sphinn
- Baidu fighting to rescue its reputation, WebmasterWorld
- Bruce Clay Interview Video, Cre8asite Forums
- Cannot preview/download my pdf docs in Google Docs, Google Groups
- Microsoft in Talks with Yahoo! to buy the The Internet search Giant for 20 Billion$, DigitalPoint Forums
- Yahoo share price jumps a whopping 9% after Carl Icahn makes a purchase, DigitalPoint Forums