Rand Fishkin leads a thorough walkthrough of more than 30 unique SEOmoz tools & services and how to leverage them for search engine marketing success. From Page Strength, to the Link Directories, to the brand new SEO Analytics Tool and beyond, Rand shows you how to get the most from all of the features inside the new SEOmoz PRO (formerly "Premium").
This is a sponsored session with Rand Fishkin, CEO & Co-Founder of SEOmoz, speaking.
Rand opens up by saying that this is the first time they have ever exhibited at a conference (they have a booth in the expo hall) and it is also the first time they have ever sponsored a session. He then points out that PRO provides a new look and feel from the old Premium product SEOmoz offered.
He first talks about the Knowledge Base which I believe he said is updated every few days. There are already over an 1,000 questions included in just over a year. Rand also pointed that they currently have 1,900 PRO members. Knowledge Base allows a certain number of credits each month to members. When questions are asked, credits are deducted. Questions are auto-closed when SEOmoz staff feel they have been adequately answered.
Next he talks about the Link and Social Media Directories. The first is basically a directory of good valuable directories - not cheesy ones that were built just for SEO purposes - but good quality directories that can add value to a search marketing campaign. The second is a social media directory where sites are arranged by category.
He points out that extensive Guides that are available to PRO members. Some of the guides that are available include:
- Search Marketing Optimization Strategies
- Viral Marketing and Linkbait on the Web
- Illustrated Guide To Building a Search Friendly Website
- The Professional's Keyword Research Guide
- The Professional Guide to Link Building
Tips and Tricks are probably like Q&A but more in the format of short
tips. The PRO section contains tips and tricks not disclosed on the public blog.
Most tips are white hat but Rand admits some are a bit more gray shaded.
Video Training Series - These are accessible in SEOmoz PRO and include the following:
- An Introduction to Search Engine Marketing
- Search Engine Algorithms
- Search Engine Friendly Design
- Keyword Research & Keyword Targeting
- Content Development Strategies
- Social Media Marketing
- Blogging & The Blogosphere
- Analytics & Measuring Success
The Partner Services Discount Store - A compilation of services that
provide discounts to PRO members. Some of the vendors include SMX, CrazyEgg,
Text Link Ads, and Sure Hits.
Finally we get to the PRO Toolset which SEOmoz is famous for -
- Keyword Difficulty - Provides an idea of how competitive the
keyword is and how hard it might be to rank well for them. Shows top ten
results in Google and provides Page Strength.
- Page Strength - Provides a general idea of how strong a web site or
- Backlink Anchor Text Analysis - Shows most common anchor text
people are linking to a site or page with.
- Term Target - Compares usage of keywords in web pages (e.g., title
tag, meta description, heading, page content, etc.)
- Popular Searches - Shows top searches of which Britney Spears
typically dominates (unfortunately). Also shows historical data (they have a
year's worth of data thus so far).
- Term Extraction Tool - Shows what terms a web page may be targeting
by scanning the page.
- Crawl Test - Designed to see how healthy a web site is. Are thy
indexed and what is last cache date are two factors that are looked at.
- Juicy Link Finder - Helps automate the process of finding quality
inbound links. Shows detail such as PageRank, age of domain and position in
- Rank Tracker Tool - Shows where you rank across a wide variety of
- Geo-Targeting Detection - Checks how well you are situated in local
- SEO Analytics - The newest tool in the SEOmoz toolset. Some of the problems it solves include when did I lose my backlinks, have pages fallen out of Yahoo's index, and other things like that related to your web site. Analytics basically gathers index data, link data and brand mentions and repeats the process over and over again, archiving old data so that one can track what is happening.
Upcoming community features include:
- Conversations, open tips and tricks and open Q&A.
- Page Strength is going to get some siblings - Domain Strength and Blog Strength.
Next a guy gets up (can't remember his name) to show a tool he built in
conjunction with SEOmoz - Enquisite Pro.
It is built around search analytics. The tool really shows the long tail of what
a web site is being found or ranked for. You may be targeting a specific keyword
or phrase and track that but this tool shows so many other variables. This is
similar to what the ClickTracks Keyword Ranking tool does. This one goes a bit
inserted on site. Pricing is based on volume and starts at $15/mo.
David Wallace - CEO and Founder SearchRank.