ThreadWatch reports on an excellent thread at WebmasterWorld forums named Link Development vs. Traffic Development and Staying with the Times. In that thread, sugarrae posts a long, detailed and fun to read explanation of the way link development has changed with the times. Let me summarize for some of you in bullet form:
- Get on topic links
- Buy links that will result in clicks (i.e. traffic)
- Write "800 word" articles that add value
- Write articles based on your keywords but don't throw words together, make it read well and make it useful.
- Diversify your anchor text
- Contribute to a select few communities online and make yourself known
- Create a blog ;)
There are more, but you need to check the WebmasterWorld thread.