Busy week, mostly because of all the news that came out of SMX Advanced via Matt Cutts. First up, Google released their new algorithm to penalize sites using very spammy techniques in spammy niches like pay day loans and pornography. Google also said they will begin to demote sites that do not have smartphone friendly web sites done right. Google's Matt Cutts explained that Panda is still monthly (mostly) but rolled out slowly over a ten day period. Google AdWords ads wouldn't cause Google to be hit by the Page Layout Penalty for a number of reasons. Google will now share more example URLs in Google Webmaster Tools notifications. Google is testing in-depth articles rich snippets. Google explains six of the top mistakes made using the disavow link tool. Google's search engineers defend the SEO industry. Google launched a Google+ business dashboard. Google actually bought Waze. Apple said Siri web search will be powered by Bing in iOS 7. Google AdSense will show smaller ads in larger ad units. Facebook finally added Hashtags and Twitter added analytics. That was this week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google Spam Algorithm For Spammy Queries: Pay Day Loans+
- Google Takes Stance On Mobile SEO: Site Not Mobile Friendly, You Won't Rank Well.
- Matt Cutts: Google Panda Updated Monthly But Slowly Rolled Out
- Google: Our AdWords Ads Wouldn't Trigger Page Layout Penalty
- Example URLs Now In Google Webmaster Tools Notifications
- Google In-Depth Rich Snippets Articles?
- Google's Matt Cutts On Disavow Tool Mistakes
- Google Search Engineer Defends SEO On Hacker News
- Google Launches A Google+ Dashboard For Managing Business Pages
- Google Buys Waze, The Loved Mapping Software
- Apple's Siri In iOS7 Powered By Bing
- Google AdSense Now Showing Similar Sized Display Ads
- Facebook #Hashtags
- Twitter Analytics: Timeline Activity & Followers