We have just migrated this site, the Search Engine Roundtable, from the HTTP URLs to HTTPS URLs.
The process was similar to when I migrated RustyBrick to HTTPS but less mistakes. The other difference is RustyBrick is on an "EV" certificate but this is on a normal very cheap SSL certificate.
The big concern I have is over being in Google News. But Google assures me that won't be an issue.
If you find any content mismatch errors or any errors at all, let me know in the comments.
Of course, the Disqus comments should work just fine, the social embeds such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest buttons should also just work. That was extra code. I had to adapt my Google Custom Search Engine, the legacy version did not support HTTPS.
We scored a nice A+ according to Qualys SSL Labs on the level of the SSL impementation.
Now I wait to see how well Google picks up on the changes both in Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools and Google News. I have not tracked Bing or Yahoo.
Here are our other stories on Google HTTPS:
- SEOs Already Blaming HTTPS Migrations On Poor Rankings
- Google News Publishers Can Switch To HTTPS
- Google Change Of Address Tool Does Not Support HTTPS Migration
- Google HTTPS: Run On A Per URL Basis In Real Time & Not Part Of Panda
- My HTTP To HTTPS Status Report For RustyBrick
Forum discussion at Twitter.