This week in search, I announce that I am hosting SMX SphinnCon Israel on March 7, 2010 in Jerusalem. Google announced the support for cross domain canonical tags. There may have been a Toolbar PageRank penalty earlier this week. Google may add PDF support to fetch as Googlebot. Google dropped Answers.com for their own definitions. Google is testing infinite scroll in image search. Bing might add "page score" to their toolbar. MSNBot crawls pages twice, once for compressed http and one for uncompressed. Google's new QR codes on the favorite places maps decals are sending users to wrong business, likely because of QR scanners and not Google. Google messed up the AdSense reporting again. Yahoo Search Marketing ads went down for a short period of time. Google is now in the URL shortening business with goo.gl. Google may buy Yelp for $500 million. Google is inviting publishers for Christmas lunch. Google's Im Feeling Lucky button does the New Year countdown. Google did a Doodle for Zamenhof. Google forgot about The Simpons 20th birthday, a shame. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here or to see the YouTube version in higher quality, click play & hit "HD."
Search Topics of Discussion: Misc:
- New: Cross Domain Canonical Tag Google Support
- Mass Google Toolbar PageRank Penalty of December 2009???
- Google to Add PDF Support to Fetch As Googlebot?
- Google Drops Answers.com For Google Definitions
- Google Images Trying Bing's "Infinite Scroll"?
- Microsoft Might Add Bing Page Score to MSN Toolbar
- Bing's MSNBot Crawls Twice, Once For Compressed HTML & Again For Uncompressed
- My Google Favorite Place Decal Was Hijacked
- Google Favorite Places QR Codes Taking Many Customers to Wrong Location
- Google Invites AdSense Publishers For Christmas Lunch
- Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" Button Counts Down To New Year
- Google Doodle Remembers L. L. Zamenhof, Inventor of Esperanto
- Happy 20th Birthday The Simpsons