Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Will Best of the Web Acquire DMOZ from AOL?
Jeremy Schoemaker recently blogged that DMOZ may be acquired by the great guys at BOTW. While BOTW has no comment regarding the possible acquisition, personally, I think the BOTW guys would be the most ideal group to take upon this project. They're dedicated and really have worked on building a solid product, which is why so many people stand behind them. Sphinn members agree. As we already know, DMOZ has been suffering a slow downfall
- How to Get Hourly Google AdWords Conversions in Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a good platform for statistics, but you really can't drill down to specifics and get hourly breakdowns of your conversion data. That's okay -- almost -- because there's a workaround that SteveLaLonde presents at Search Engine Watch Forums. He says that he implemented a duplicate web site profile in Google Analytics and then applied a filter which shows AdWords data only. Of course, it doesn't you real detailed data, but you can
- It's Time to Use SEO Terms Correctly (or Maybe to Learn SEO and Stop Claiming You Do!)
There's a big problem in the SEO industry and that's the fact that people are not using SEO terms correctly. Jill Whalen has written a great post on Search Engine Land to this effect -- she says that due to there being no industry definitions, lack of knowledge (or laziness), and "old wives tales" (where people misinterpret something happening due to something else), SEO terms are not really understood at all times. She closes her
- How Detailed Are Your Monthly SEO Billing Reports?
You're an SEO. You are tweaking client pages and billing your clients at the end of the month. Is there a standard industry practice of what you should actually put on your client bills, such as work completed? There is no "industry practice" from what many of us have heard. However, in the event of any work completed, this is something you need to judge for yourself. If it's a small invoiced amount, typically, you
- Google AdWords/AdSense Arbitrageur Spotlighted But Who is Right?
The New York Times has a story about an AdSense/AdWords arbitrageur, a webmaster who makes money off getting visitors to his site through AdWords to have them click on his AdSense ads. The story is named Stuck in Google's Doghouse, where Dan Savage who runs SourceTool.com has sent a nine-page, 4,000-word letter to the antitrust division of the Justice Department over Google's business practices. We have discussed the topic of arbitrage in this sense, even
- Google: Duplicate Content Penalty Does Not Exist
Friday, Google posted a blog post named Demystifying the "duplicate content penalty". The blog post basically describes what many of us have been saying for a long time. Google does not typically penalize for duplicate content, but duplicate content can cause issues for certain pages to rank well. Non-malicious duplicate content is when you have pages that are very similar to each other, like filtered down search results or product option pages. If Google detects
- Google Continues Test Side By Side Videos in Web Search
About three weeks ago, I covered a story at Search Engine Land on Google Blogoscoped finding Google testing two video results, in the web search results, on the same line. Here is a picture: It appears Google is continuing the test. AccuCast started a Search Engine Watch Forums thread showing two video results on the same line, for a search at Google UK for MTV awards. I personally do not see it, but I kind
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: September 14, 2008
Google's Mayer talks about the future of search. How do those Google Sitelinks really work? When should I resubmit my site to Google? How do I rank my images in Google? When I move my site, how do I redirect? How does Google speak to us? Google Germany drops video porn. Is Google or the Tribune to blame for United Airlines? AdWords quality score has not changed yet, but when will it change? Search newspaper
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Is Google Building a new Index?, WebmasterWorld
- 5 experts demystify SEO link building, Sphinn
- My Interview about Google on Public Radio, Sphinn
- Check Google Page Rank In Google Chrome, DigitalPoint Forums
- Pages with many slashes not indexed after FIVE months, Google Groups
- Yahoo Says Google Ad Deal Complies With The Law, WebmasterWorld
- Yahoo's Open Hack Day 2008: An Open Strategy To Compete?, WebmasterWorld
- World Association of Newspapers Opposes Yahoo-Google Ad Deal, WebmasterWorld