Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Are You Going to SMX West or SphinnCon Israel?
Rand Fishkin wrote a blog post on the reasons why you must attend SMX West. Among his reasons: you can meet potential employees and clients, you can perform competitive analysis, you can brainstorm with speakers, you can test your elevator pitch, you can set goals for yourself, and applications of the right tip may increase your ROI. This works for any conference, really, and it should be part of any Search Marketer's agenda. But why
- Microsoft Launches Excel 2007 adCenter Plugin
Last month, Microsoft announced an adCenter Excel 2007 plugin. Well, boys and girls, it's finally a reality. The Microsoft adCenter Excel Add In is ready to download. Note that it's a beta version as Microsoft continually improves on the product. According to the Microsoft adCenter Blog, here are the features: Keyword Expansion â€“ we have included 3 different expansion algorithms: campaign association, fast contained, and category simulation Keyword Search Volume Historical and Forecast â€“ we
- Matt Cutts Illustrates How to Remove URLs from Google
Ever wanted to know the clear-cut way to remove URLs from Google? Matt Cutts shows you how in this video that was highlighted in the Google Webmaster Central blog: Good stuff. I'm still not a videophile though. (My question to Matt: have you been inspired by Whiteboard Friday?) Forum discussion continues at Search Engine Watch Forums.
- Jim Lanzone No Longer CEO of Ask.com
Last night I reported Jim Safka To Replace Jim Lanzone As CEO Of Ask.com at Search Engine Land. In short, Jim Lanzone, who became Ask.com's CEO in August of 2006, to step up when Steve Berkowitz left to go to Microsoft, has been replaced by one of Diller's guys, Jim Safka. I hear very good things about Safka, he was previously the CEO of Match.com and he will retain his job at as CEO of
- Google Still Working On Fixing Approval Process for AdSense & YouTube Sign Up
Google, on October 9th, launched Video AdSense units with YouTube. I then explained how to link up your YouTube account with AdSense to start displaying AdSense Video units. But as we reported on December 28th, there has been bugs with video AdSense units that has been restricting many users from signing up. In fact, the bug was first reported on December 21st, and then acknowledged by an AdSense representative. The bug appears to have never
- Google Moves "Cache" & "Similar Pages" Links One Line Down
It appears Google made a slight change in how they display the "cache" and "similar pages" link within the search results listings. Yesterday, the link appeared on the same line as the URL, as shown here: Today, the link appears on the line under the URL, as shown here: Was this change intentional? It seems like everyone is seeing this on the main Google.com results. Forum discussion at DigitalPoint Forums.
- Some Google AdSense Referrals No Longer Working
Just the other day we learned Google was changing their AdSense referral policy. But we have reports that many Google AdSense publishers are already seeing these referral options not appearing for them. But many of those publishers are US based, so the policy doesn't apply to them. This is likely a bug. There are two threads reporting this, one at Google Groups and the other at DigitalPoint Forums. Here are some reports from the thread
- January 2008 Google Toolbar PageRank Update
Today we are having our first Google Toolbar PageRank update of 2008. At least there are dozens and dozens of reports that PageRank scores on the 72.14.25.x data center has been updated. What does this mean to you? To your rankings? Nothing. More on that on Why do some SEOs want toolbar PageRank to go away. In any event, for many Toolbar PageRank is a prestige thing. So congrats if your PageRank score went up.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- New Tactics to Help Hit the Sphinn Home Page, Sphinn
- Google & Facebook Join Support For Social Content: DataPortability, Sphinn
- Google indexing AdWords copy - why?, WebmasterWorld
- Matt Cutts Tells How Google Can Read Your Flash Files, Sphinn
- Network Solutions claimed caught front-running, WebmasterWorld
- Slashdot Weighs in on Matt Cutts Post About CEO in Jail, Sphinn
- Someone cranked up the adcenter update performance!, WebmasterWorld
- Where SEO Belongs In The Web Site Development Cycle, Sphinn
- Yahoo To Show Local News Video Clips From Belo Corp, WebmasterWorld