Brand Savvy Searchers Don't Always Visit Brand Name Websites

Apr 20, 2006 - 1:15 pm 1 by

According to a ClickZ study people who search for brand names are not necessarily ending up at the official brand name web site. Only 85% of those searches will. The other 15% visit other competitors or information sites containing information about a brand. There is an excellent thread on SEW Forums about the ClickZ topic. Danny Sullivan explain in the thread "For example, if I search for McDonald's, lots of people want the McDonald's site. But some people might be researching the company; some might be looking for an anti-McDonald's site and so on." He continues asking "Is 85 percent pretty good? Should a brand expect to get in the high 90 percent of all traffic?".

In my opinion, I don't think they should nor should expect to. If you are an increasingly savvy shopper you will quickly scan all the various brands that meet your match. People also don't like things to break or have holes in them and they always like to get exactly what they ordered online and nothing different. Additionally some corporate websites are pretty boring and rarely a help. Back to Danny's example, those websites do not help in my buying process. Do I really need to go to the McDonalds website to learn more about BigMac's when I can just go down the street and order one in 5 minutes? It would seem that searchers are being smarter. They are not the drones who randomly click like we might believe.

Continue discussion on SEW Forums - What Percentage Of Brand Name Traffic Should Brand Names Get?

 

Popular Categories

The Pulse of the search community

Follow

Search Video Recaps

 
Google Weekend Volatility, Google On Search Leak, Elizabeth Tucker Interview & Apple Intelligence - YouTube
Video Details More Videos Subscribe to Videos

Most Recent Articles

Search Forum Recap

Daily Search Forum Recap: June 14, 2024

Jun 14, 2024 - 10:00 am
Search Video Recaps

Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Weekend Volatility, Google On Search Leak, Elizabeth Tucker Interview, Apple Intelligence & More

Jun 14, 2024 - 8:01 am
Google

Google Tests Multiple Featured Snippets Under From Sources Across The Web

Jun 14, 2024 - 7:51 am
Google Search Engine Optimization

Google: Sometimes Search Experiments Conflict Causing Issues

Jun 14, 2024 - 7:41 am
Google Maps

Google Business Profiles Websites No Longer Load - 404

Jun 14, 2024 - 7:31 am
Google Ads

Google Tests New Call & Location Extension Ad Format

Jun 14, 2024 - 7:21 am
Previous Story: What Is Google's Indexing Limit?