NOTE: I'm not posting verbatim. It's in the first person because it's easier for me to write that way ;)
Speaker: Dale Hursh (Smart Search Marketing) Position: CEO Moderator: Inway Ni
The main group breaks into 2 focus groups: the Fundamentals Track and the Advanced Track. I stayed to watch the Advanced topics initially.
Why do we need to convert?
- get the ROI.
- competitors are getting valuable marketing data, so should you.
Keyword > Ad > Landing page **Your keyword should be present in the ad and in the landing pages **Example: [database software] – your ad should have “database software” – your landing page should have database software content. Your ad copy needs to be relevant, compelling and qualifying:
- Use your unique selling proposition
- Compelling - it should engage the user
- Qualifying – you copy should deliver a clear enough message to those who aren't qualified (don't click here); no use selling million dollar software to those without a million dollar budget
- Ad copy should answer the "what’s in it for me" question
Landing pages are your virtual salespeople. They should be be deliberately optimized to funnel users to your preferred conversion path. When designing landing pages take these into consideration:
- Everyone on the web has attention deficit disorder (ADD) - if you can't catch their attention quickly, they’re gone.
- Assume the lowest common denominator – hold their hand (instead of “click here”, use “click here to buy now”, this makes more for not too sophisticated searchers)
Basics of compelling landing pages:
- Alignment with search the better
- Conspicuous call to action with trigger (preferably above the fold)
- Pay attention to eye tracking stats
- Use pictures (sites with pictures have better conversion rates)
- Testimonials – for companies with less developed brands, testimonials help a lot.
Sample call to actions: Click here to buy the product now. Click here to download a free copy of the software for evaluation. Click here to sign up our email list and we’ll send you updates.