Get Ready, Here Come More Google AdWords Account Bans

Nov 17, 2009 • 8:57 am | comments (5) by twitter Google+ | Filed Under Google AdWords
 

The mass AdWords banning that has continued on since late September of this year is just going to get worse. Google told me last night that they are stepping up the account level bans and making them permanent on the account level.

Nick Fox of Google told me Google is now better at enforcement and able to offer more comprehensive enforcement of their existing policies. This is why they have decided to step up these efforts by banning not just sites from advertising, but complete accounts and permanently stopping them from signing up for new accounts (they have ways).

In the past, I complained that Google replied to AdWords advertisers with lame responses. Fox promised me that the communication process with these account bans have been improved. All accounts that are being banned will get an email from Google telling them they have been banned and instructing them how to appeal the ban. All appeals will get a response from Google, no matter what.

I am some more details at Search Engine Land about this and AdWordsAdvisor posted a note at WebmasterWorld about this as well, the message read:

In keeping with our mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we spend a tremendous amount of time and effort monitoring the quality of our search and ad results. As we've stated many times before, Google's primary focus is on delivering the best possible search experience to our end users. To help further this goal, we work with our advertisers in a number of different ways to help them design and run the best ads possible.

Unfortunately, some online advertisers continue to promote services and websites that do not help, and in some cases could harm, our users. For instance, these advertisers may offer free services that bait users into accepting hidden fees. Or these advertisers may attempt to deliver malware to unsuspecting web citizens. Regardless of the practice, these types of campaigns do not benefit our users and we therefore take steps to enforce our policies and prevent such advertisers from running ads through our systems.

Over the last decade Google has implemented a number of systems and processes to identify and disable ads that direct users to these offending websites. However, the ad disabling procedures have resulted in ongoingback and forth between us and these questionable advertisers as they try to outsmart our systems and processes. Therefore, we're being stricter with advertisers who deliver a bad user experience by permanently disabling AdWords accounts that engage in prohibited behavior.

Recently we began implementing this new account disabling. As a result, many advertisers who provide a poor user experience and have previously had their ads disabled will now have their accounts disabled.

We take our user, advertiser and publisher experiences very seriously, and remain dedicated to delivering only the highest quality advertising results to our users. We believe this new process of permanently disabling accounts will markedly improve the overall experience of our users, advertisers and publishers.

Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld and DigitalPoint Forums.

Previous story: Google Sitelinks Linking to Wrong Sites?
 

Comments:

No Name

11/17/2009 07:52 pm

Hurray for Google! It's about time, really. I hope they find away to keep the scammers from getting around their security measures becauseNOBODY wants the ads on their site directing users to scams. That kind of stuff hurts Google's credibility as well as the credibility of every site that displays Google ads.

No Name

11/17/2009 09:08 pm

I guess it has taken so long because there has not been a very big incentive for Gooogle to take serious action. They have been making money off these scammers but because of this fraud the bids for all legitimate advertisers has been much higher. Then again I don't see a specific mention of MFA sites being included in this ban.

Michael Martinez

11/17/2009 10:29 pm

I think AdSense has been going after the Made-For-Advertising sites.

No Name

12/07/2009 01:53 am

OK everyone..These marketers screwed up and got caught.However, IF they have learned their lesson, they are welcomed to contact me for a 2nd shot at running a legitimate Adwords Business!

Steve Unger

12/12/2009 12:11 am

I am a tiny advertiser. I had 4 ads, one for our b&b that I ran for several years. I wanted to learn more about internet marketing and ran ads for an internet marketing program, an energy drink and a vitamin supplament. These ran for about 3 months. I had decided not to go further with the nergy drnik or the internet marketing program, and stopped running the ads. Google won't tell me what ad offended. I can only guess that it was the itnernet marketing program. The ad as "Learn Internet Marketing. Free 8 day boot camp, and tools, tutorials and videos." When the name and e-mail ws collected a series of e-mails was sent out and the first 8 of these provided informaton about internet marketing. I placed the ad after using the materials myself and found them useful. I have asked Google how to appeal in response to their original e-mail but they have not told me how to do this. Having worked in Silicon Valley for over 15 years in software marketing, I am shocked at how Google is handling this. I support Google stoppign internet ad abuse. But in my case their was not "abuse" and I would have certainly made any changes or corrections if I had been offere dthe opportunity. It is like I got the death penalty for a parknig infraction. The original e-mail from Google and their response can only be characterized as arragant and dismissive. I have always held Google in high regard but now have a sour taste in my mouth. I can not bleive the senior executives at Google want the company to present itself in such a harsh and unprofessional manner.

blog comments powered by Disqus