Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Yahoo Search Review Form Same As Trash Bin?
Yahoo Search seems like it is dead in the water, at least if you use the forums to track what is living and breathing. The most recent news that Yahoo Search seems dead is that the Yahoo Search URL review form seems to have no one on the other side. You know, like those suggestion boxes that lead to a garbages on the other end. One SEO recently gave the form a try and posted
- Finland Google Maps Users Want Language in Finnish Not Swedish
For a few months now, users from Finland have been complaining that Google Maps Finland is in Swedish and not in their native language, Finnish. A Google Maps Help thread has those complaints. A Googler even responded on May 26th, saying, "This is an issue which I reported to our team for their review and resolution." Another Google replied three days later, adding "we know this is a problem and it's definitely going to get
- Should SEOs Prepare For Bing To Take Over Yahoo Search?
I am so tired about writing about the Microsoft and Yahoo talks rumors, so I am sure you are tired reading about it. But over the course of the past week or two, the rumors that a deal is going to happen "soon" is pretty strong. Exactly when, is unknown, but the rumors seem really strong. The question a WebmasterWorld thread asks is should SEOs start preparing? Even if we know a deal is going
- Google AdWords Certified Professionals To Get Labels in Forums
AdWordsPro Sarah, an official Google representative, announced in the Google AdWords Help forums that they want to give Google AdWords Professionals, those that are certified by Google, special logos or labels under their profile names in the forums. Sarah said: To help people identify our Google Advertising Professional forum members, we are going to try and label users with current certification (it will show up right below your user name when you post- much like
- Microsoft Page Hunt, Game To Make Bing Better
The Technology Review reports the Microsoft research team designed a game to help make Bing a better search engine. The game is named Page Hunt and it presents players with web pages and asks them to guess the queries that would produce the page within its first five results. Players score 100 points if the page is no.1 on the list, 90 points if it's no.2, and so on. Here is a video demo, without
- Google Sells Off AOL For $283 Million, Paid $1 Billion in 2005
Last night, Google sold off their 5% stake in AOL for $283 billion. Google acquired that 5% stake in 2005 for $1 billion. The news of the sale was pretty big, showing that AOL was valued at less than $5.66 billion and Tim Armstrong, a former Google executive, now CEO of AOL, will earn at least $1 million a year in salary and up to $4 million a year in bonuses, not including stock options.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Now that Geocities is closing what should I do with my sites there?, WebmasterWorld
- Why is Google attacking my site? (that's what looks like it), Google Webmaster Help
- Boondoggle Jill - Not Backing Down?, Sphinn
- Google Web Alert For: - Link Building Pays Back In Years To Come?, Cre8asite Forums
- How to Avoid Ad Reviews?, WebmasterWorld
- Hyphens In Domain Names (again!), HighRankings Forums
- Predict link amount based on public "link:", WebmasterWorld
- Upcoming: 'New AdWords Interface Webinars' on July 29th and August 5th, Google AdWords Help