Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google News Changes Again, Adds Collapsible Right Side
I love it, Google keeps tweaking their re-design to make it more similar to the look prior to the redesign. Why? Their users keep complaining and asking for the old design and Google made one tweak a month or so ago and now made another tweak. Now, if you visit Google News you will see a right arrow at the top middle section. Clicking that arrow will push those articles to fill the screen and
- Google Voice Comes To Gmail, When Is It Coming to Search Results?
I am sure everyone by now knows the news that Google Voice is coming to Gmail. Yes, you will be able to make phone calls via your Gmail page to anyone in your contact list. It is neat. They are also making all calls to US numbers free and charging for international calls. Finally, they are putting telephone booths in airports and such, for free US calling. That is the news. Personally, I won't be
- Absolute URLs for Image SEO Recommended?
A WebmasterWorld thread has discussion on the basic topic of using absolute URLs versus relative URLs. I believe we covered the topic several times here, but not when it comes to image SEO. Again, an absolute URL is using the full URL path, such as http://www.domain.com/filename. The relative URL is just using /filename in the source code. Now when people rip off your content, sometimes they will forget to change the URLs and thus SEOs
- Google Maps Updates Review Guidelines
So not only can owners reply to reviews left on Google Maps, Google has just updated their map review guidelines. The review guidelines seem to take aim at those who leave bad reviews or good reviews without really using the company's services. Let me quote the new guidelines: Google will rarely remove reviews but now they can if: Inappropriate content We want to provide a clean and positive user experience for all users. We may
- Google Responds To Detailed Questions On Pagination SEO Issues
Duplicate content is not a fun topic for many SEOs and Webmasters. When it comes to dealing with large dynamic sites and dealing with how they paginate content, it makes things a bit more complicated. Pagniation of articles and even worse, pagination of the navigational elements (categories, sub category pages) to those articles can be a real hair puller for many webmasters. So what do you do? I spotted one of the most detailed threads
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Best Countries to immigrate to for webmasters, WebmasterWorld
- Keyword Rich Domain Vs Good Sounding Domain, HighRankings Forums
- 5 Common Problems (and solutions) with Google Base, Sphinn
- A Blog Tax!, WebmasterWorld
- Google Blog Search; under the hood, Sphinn
- How to track phone calls generated through AdWords, WebmasterWorld
- I Love Seo Spam Emails, Cre8asite Forums
- Sandbox Or Bad Behavior?, HighRankings Forums
- The Death of SEO, Sphinn
- The myth of the Tool Bar PageRank, Sphinn