Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Second June 2010 Google PageRank Update
Earlier this month, we had a Google PageRank update and now there are many many reports of another PageRank update. We have threads at DigitalPoint Forums, WebmasterWorld and Google Webmaster Help with people reporting their Google PageRank score changed in the Google Toolbar. Of course, most of us don't give a hoot about toolbar PageRank - but nevertheless, people look. I'd be surprised if you didn't check your PageRank score on at least one site
- Google China Now a Fake Search Box Page, Directing Users To Hong Kong
In March, Google began redirecting Google.CN to Google.com.hk in order not to censor the Chinese search results anymore. Well, China isn't happy with that, they simply do not want their Chinese users to get unfiltered results. Google has been threatened by China that if they don't stop redirecting users, they will take away Google's license to operate in China. Google caved - they want to still operate in China, although they said they don't want
- Google Webmaster Tools Reporting Inflated Link Counts
Have you checked out link count in Google Webmaster Tools today? If not, you may be in for a surprise when you do. It seems like most people's link counts are incredibly inflated. A Google Webmaster Help thread and WebmasterWorld thread has several webmasters noticing the major inflation of their link counts in Google Webmaster Tools. Personally, I see Google is telling me I have 974,494 links to this site. But some people are reporting
- On Page SEO VS. Off Page SEO: Which Trumps?
"Content is King" or Links are supreme - that is the classic SEO debate. Which SEO component is more important? Links or on page SEO? This debate is as old as Google and while it was much more of a debate years ago, it still triggers some debate nowadays. These days, even the biggest link builder would admit you need strong content and some basic SEO to rank well for competitive keywords. Or maybe not?
- Google Doodle For Antoine de Saint-Exupery's 110th Birthday
Google has a special logo, aka Doodle, on most of the Google properties today for the 100th birthday of Antoine de Saint-Exupery. For some reason, Google.com, Google USA does not have a doodle for Antoine de Saint-ExupÃ©ry. Here is a picture of the doodle: Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a well-known for his short novel named The Little Prince, which is depicted in the Google Doodle above. Antoine was born 100 years ago today on June
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Admits GoogleBot can Parse and Execute Javscript Code on-the-fly, WebmasterWorld
- Will adding AddThis to pages drop PR?, WebmasterWorld
- First Look - The New Digg Version 4.0 Alpha, Sphinn
- New feature - OCR - in Google Docs, Google Blogoscoped Forum
- Google is Stupid - AdWords Continues to Lose Good Customers, WebmasterWorld
- Introducing: Reshare on mobile!, Google Mobile Help
- Strong PR7 site wants to buy a link from me?, WebmasterWorld
- Two Buzz Updates: auto-complete & full rendering of shared items, Google Mobile Help