Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Learn SEO With the Google Webmaster Quiz Answers
A week or so ago, Google posted a webmaster quiz for people to answer. Today, they posted the answers to the quiz. The beauty of this is that you can really learn a lot about Google's SEO best practices by just reading the questions and answers. You can read all the questions and answers or see how well you did on the test, if you took it. Only three people got all 40 questions correct,
- Google Straw In Czech & Find Dead People
If you do not like images of dead people, then maybe you should shy away from this post. A Google Web Search Help thread reports that if you search for [slÃ¡ma], which means straw in Czech, up comes an image of a dead old lady in the web results. Here is a picture: (FYI, I did crop the picture a bit) I personally reported the image as offensive. Often we have issues with porn in
- Creating Internal Link Structure After Google Indexes Your Site
A WebmasterWorld thread has an interesting discussion started by senior member, Wheel. In short, he is expanding one of his sites from 21 pages to about 5,000 pages. He wants to take the approach of letting Google index the site and then use Google and the site command to figure out which pages he should then go back into and internally link to. Let me explain what I think he is trying to accomplish here.
- Google AdWords Hides Their Tax ID From Invoices?
Tax time is just around the corner and people are preparing their U.S. tax returns. Part of that, for some, is to document how much they spent on their Google AdWords campaigns. To do that, they typically want to know Google's tax ID number, to put on the IRS forms. Google has an FAQ on how to locate Google's tax ID number. It goes as follows: (1) Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- Google Double Pays Publisher, Apologizes Via Email
Google AdSense has paid a publisher twice as much in December, so they decided to apologize to the publisher and withhold the funds from their January check. A WebmasterWorld thread has the story from this publisher. The publisher said: I checked that I had ben paid the other day and thought did I really earn that much in December but didn't think any more about it. Have just received an email from Google Ireland saying
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google: The King of Disruptive Technology, Sphinn
- Keyword Research with Google Only: No Other Tools Needed, Sphinn
- Article Submissions - Useful Or Useless?, HighRankings Forums
- Geo targeting in WMT - too artificial, WebmasterWorld
- Problem with Google Voice webapp on iPhone - incomplete contact list is downloaded, Google Mobile Help
- The Overview page - I cannot find it!, Google Webmaster Help