Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Blue Pale Stars on Google News Confuses Users?
Yesterday, Google announced a new feature for Google News. The feature lets users "star" news items. You can "star" news clusters by clicking on the blue pale stars. Here is a picture: What does starring news items do? (1) It lets Google know that you're interested in that subject. (2) When there are significant updates, Google will alert you by putting the headline in bold so you can get more information. (3) You can also
- Google AdWords Disapproved For "Artificial Ad Traffic"
Some Google AdWords advertisers are reporting that their ads are being disapproved due to what is called "Artificial Ad Traffic." There are two thread at Google AdWords Help on the topic. At this point, no one really fully understands the issue behind those warnings. An advertising policy guideline on Inflating Ad Clicks or Impressions was hyperlinked to by one AdWords helper. Then a Google representative, AdWordsPro, said that this was the correct answer to such
- A Week Later, Google Fixes Webmaster Tools iGoogle Gadgets
A week ago, we reported that the iGoogle Webmaster Tools gadgets were broken. Google confirmed the issue then and said they would be working on fixing them. Yesterday, Jonathan Simon of Google said it was fixed. He said: Good news...the Webmaster Tools' iGoogle Gadgets should be functioning as expected again. Thank you for hanging in there while we worked on getting this fixed. Some confirmed the fix is indeed working. But when I checked it
- Old Time Forum Personality, MakeMeTop, Acquired Partially
Possibly the first "Barry" in the SEO industry, Barry Lloyd, aka MakeMeTop, has sold the MakeMeTop brand, software and analytics business to Unica. Barry Lloyd has been in the industry for a really long time and he has been somewhat quiet recently, but has given so much to the industry over the years. He joined the WebmasterWorld forums back in 2000. It is over there where he used the MakeMeTop username for years and years.
- Groundhog Day: Bing Theme But Nothing From Google, Yahoo, AOL & Others
Today is Groundhog Day and in the past we have seen special logos from AOL, DogPile, Bing and others. But we never get a theme or logo from Google and Yahoo for the day. In any event, here is Bing's theme for Groundhog day: We also have a theme up, here is how it looks: Forum discussion at Search Engine Roundtable Forums.
- Google May Disclose AdSense Revenue Split, But Publishers Don't Care
Jeff Jarvis wrote that Google is considering disclosing the share of AdSense revenue they share with their publishers. In fact, we have been reporting the approximate revenue share almost every time Google releases a financial statement. Some publishers seem to want to know how much Google is keeping and how much they are giving to their publishers. A WebmasterWorld thread threw me for a bit of a loop. Many publishers in the thread don't want
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Step-by-step Approach to Contacting Link Partners for Authoritative Links, Sphinn
- Caffeine affecting image search?, WebmasterWorld
- Do Shopping Sites Add Link Value, HighRankings Forums
- Does Adwords affect link building campaings?, WebmasterWorld
- Old Link Buys Come Back To Haunt You?, Cre8asite Forums
- renaming Link Development, WebmasterWorld