This week was pretty busy over at the Search Engine Roundtable. We broke the news Google has dropped PageRank data from Webmaster Tools and we hope from more places. Yahoo was wrong about the meta keywords tag, they still use it. Yahoo dropped the controversial paid inclusion program. Microsoft Bing has major bugs preventing people from using their Webmaster Tools for over 3 days. Google launched a labs area for Webmaster Tools, adding Fetch as Googlebot and Malware Details. Did Google Suggest just get smarter and start figuring out abbreviations? Google Maps dropped Tele Atlas for their own data in the U.S. Google now only shows 7 of 10 local results in the "ten pack" on web search. Beware of a Google AdSense "account disabled" phishing email that is going around. AVG has labeled some of the Google search results as a security threat. Google thinks Ireland is New Zealand. Google reported earnings, revenue up 7 percent, clicks up 14 percent and cost per click was down 6 percent. A person lost their unemployment check of $405 per week for earning a dollar a day with Google AdSense. A site is conning convicts into paying $50 to remove their name from their web site, which ranks high for their names in Google. That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here or to see the YouTube version in higher quality, click play & hit "HD."
Some Of The Topics Discussed:
- Google Removes PageRank Data From Webmaster Tools
- Yahoo's Senior Director of Search Got It Wrong, Yahoo Uses Meta Keywords Still
- Yahoo Dropping Controversial Paid Inclusion Program, Finally
- Bing Webmaster Tools Unexpected Errors
- 3 Days Later, Bing Finally Fixes Webmaster Tools Bug
- Google Labs For Webmaster Tools Launches: Fetch as Googlebot & Malware Details
- Fetch As Googlebot Shows Only 100Kb But Real Googlebot Gets More
- Google Search Suggestions Smarter? Abbreviations Working?
- Google Maps Drops Tele Atlas For Google Data in US
- Google Showing Only 7 of 10 Local Results Now
- Beware: Google AdSense "Account Disabled" Phishing Scam
- AVG Calls Some Google Search Pages A "Threat"
- Google, Heads Up, Ireland Is Not New Zealand
- Google Clicks Up 14% & CPC Drops 6%, Overall GOOG Up 7%
- Woman Loses Unemployment Checks Due To $1 Per Day Google AdSense Income
- Get Out Of Google Jail For $50, Web Site Captures Mug Shots