A HighRankings Forum thread asks how does one distinguish between a good and bad web directory. Web directories are often the first step for many link building campaigns. The obvious directories that come to mind to submit to are dmoz.org and Yahoo's directory. But many people like Best of the Web as well.
The question is, how does an SEO or webmaster know which directories are quality and which are not. This gets more important when you are submitting to niche directories.
Here are just some points, off the top of my head, to look for when evaluating a directory.
- Age of directory
- Is the directory indexed
- Is your listing category in the directory indexed
- Number of links to the directory
- Domain age of directory
- Does directory require a link back
- PageRank of directory's home page
- PageRank of the category of your listing in your directory
- Design of directory
- How large is the directory
Again, these are just the things that came to my mind as I wrote this post. If you have more to add, please do.
Forum discussion at HighRankings Forum.