Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Weekly SearchBuzz RoundUp - 10/24/08: Google Analytics Integrates AdSense, First Click Free Program Discussed & Yahoo Rolls Out Search Marketing Features
The holidays are over and Barry and I are back -- for real. In the flesh. We even have a video recap on Sunday if you tune in. Google's First Click Free Program Discussed A week ago, we learned a little more about the First Click Free program in Google. In essence, First Click Free allows you to protect your content (say, if it's subscription based) while still getting the full benefit of being in
- IM Broadcast is a YouTube for Internet Marketers
Loren Baker of Search Engine Journal teamed up with two great guys, Jordan Kasteler and David Snyder of Search and Social to launch IMBroadcast, which is advertised as the "first ever UGC video site dedicated to the Internet Marketing industry." If you've taken a look at the site already, it really appears to be one of those sites with a ton of potential. Since as you know, Barry loves Video Recaps, I bet this is
- Google Labs Adds Canned Responses to Gmail -- and Emoticon Support is Now Here!
Google's Gmail is getting more and more interesting features. First, I heard via Mashable that Gmail Labs has added support for canned responses. The Official Gmail Blog writes: If you're sick of typing out the same reply every time someone emails you with a common question, now you can compose your reply once and save the message text with the "Canned responses" button. Later, you can open that same message and send it again and
- And Yesterday's Google Feedburner Subscriber Drop Was Brought to You By...
Cynthia at Google Groups must be a new FeedBurner user. After all, Feedburner has seen regular drops in subscriber count (maybe once or twice a month) and even ran into a zero subscriber count issue with some users earlier. But Cynthia dropped 300 subscribers yesterday, according to her FeedBurner count (which makes her lucky, because I dropped 700+). What could have possibly been wrong? From Google FeedBurner's team, Matt S. informed us that there were
- Google's Geolocation API Comes to the Browser
First go read Greg Sterling's write up at Search Engine Land named Location in the Browser: What Does It Mean? Now that you read that, you will realize that the implication of Google adding geolocation capabilities to your desktop browser can be huge. The Geolocation API can run on any browser that has Google Gears and automatically will run on Android and Google's browser, Chrome. Google currently knows your approximate location for when you do
- Google Webmaster Team Sending Letters To Sitemaps Users?
I am not sure about this, but it seems that Google's webmaster trends team is sending out snail mail letters to some Sitemap users in the Google Webmaster Help forums. I believe the letters read: <url> <loc> http://www.google.com/webmasters </loc> <created> 2006-08-04 </created> <priority> Help webmasters create great sites. </priority> </url> I think this is a gesture of appreciation to some of the more active members in the Google Groups support forum. Again, I am not
- Google Showing Product Images in AdWords, Where The Organic Results Go?
Google AdWords: Now With Images that I wrote at Search Engine Land described a newish AdWords interface I spotted. In short, a search for diamonds or other searches that would bring up an ad from Blue Nile, would show a special type of AdWords ad. The AdWords ad is similar to what we covered in November and January but without the pictures. In short, the ad shows a + sign that reads "Show products from
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Can't Have 100pct of Begun Ad Agency, Says Russia's FAS, WebmasterWorld
- Russian regulator rejects Google's purchase of Rambler ad system, DigitalPoint Forums
- 8 Social Media Sites for Local Networking, Sphinn
- AdWords API Ruby Client Library 13.0.1, Google Groups
- Can't email groups in Google Reader, Google Groups
- Google Launches Gmail 2.0 for Mobile, DigitalPoint Forums