Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- SMX West and SES New York City 2008 Party Schedule
Guess what, my friends? SMX West is next week. And just a few weeks later, SES NY 2008 is occurring. The party is about to start and you shouldn't be left out! Fortunately, the forums have you covered (or we do if you came here first). The SMX West parties are as follows: on Monday night, the SMX bash will be held, followed by the Search Bowl on Tuesday night. The party on Wednesday night,
- Survival of the Small Webmaster in a World of Link Building
If you've been following the paid links debate and related linking news, you're probably wondering what to do next. A webmaster says that he's ruled out reciprocal linkings for two reasons: he's seen people get penalized and he's also aware that many smarter webmasters don't like the idea of reciprocal linking. It's also very difficult to reach webmasters nowadays. And of course, the paid links debate just makes it more problematic to get any links
- Is Google Search More Profitable for Google AdSense?
A WebmasterWorld thread takes the findings from a recent Hitwise report saying that Yahoo draws a younger crowd than Google. The member suspects that this could mean that Google is more profitable for AdSense publishers. Most don't find this report at all surprising. Some people fit the demographic perfectly. They're older than the "average" Yahoo user (whatever age that is) and spend a considerable amount of money on online purchases. Some people, however, find the
- Google Indexing Unlinked Pages?
In October, a WebmasterWorld member has been monitoring his website and has noticed that Google is beginning to index pages that seem unlinked from anywhere. He suspects that either Google is using Toolbar data, someone is linking to these pages deliberately, or he may have caused the pages to be linked somehow (but he's pretty sure that's not the case). Others notice similar "creative" spidering, and as Tedster puts it, "googlebot [is] trying to eat
- How Google May Treat Boilerplate Content
Bill Slawski's Google Omits Needless Words (On Your Pages?) at SEO By The Sea has Google texts, patents and patent applications that discuss how Google may handle boilerplate content. Boilerplate content on a web page might be content that is found repeated on every page of the site. It may include legal texts, copyright notices, terms and conditions, and so on. Bill runs through some scientific documents by Google and comes up with some observations
- How Long Should Your Google SEO Changes Take?
A WebmasterWorld thread asks how long should he or she wait for after making a change to see if that change worked in Google. In this specific case, the SEO has a web site that seems to be penalized. He/she wants to make several changes but wants to know how long to wait after those changes are implemented to take his or her next steps. WebmasterWorld moderator, minnapple, offers some timeline advice: Site wide internal
- New Round of Google PageRank Penalties on February 15th
Some may have missed this and I tried to avoid writing about it again, but I figured it might be good to document for the future. Google has pushed out yet another PageRank update for those sites who sell links, reportedly. A few threads from the weekend have reported downgrades to their PageRank scores. Some of those threads include DigitalPoint Forums and WebmasterWorld. What is this penalty? It is supposedly a visible PageRank penalty to
- Google AdSense Tests Google Logo Placement Again
Google continues to test the placement and location of the Google logo within the AdSense Ads. Let me count for you the times we reported these minor changes: Google Trying Google Logo on AdSense Ads, December 11, 2006 Google Confirms AdSense Google Logo Test, December 12, 2006 Google Tests New AdSense Logo Format Once Again, March 15, 2007 Google Test Google Logo on AdSense at Top Left, March 21, 2007 New Google Logo on AdSense
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Steps Up Its Effort To Identify Malicious Pages, WebmasterWorld
- Seven Eras of Search - Search's Evolutionary History, Sphinn
- SEW & Search Engine Land On Scientology Attack, Search Engine Watch Forums
- $25 Million Lawsuit Claims Google Stole Earth Sky Layer Idea, WebmasterWorld
- China's Alibaba ponders Microsoft's Yahoo bid, WebmasterWorld
- China's Alibaba worried about Yahoo bid?, DigitalPoint Forums
- SearchDay & The Incredible Invisible SMX, Sphinn
- SEO for Businesses With Multiple Locations In The Same City, Sphinn
- Will adsense accept a music search engine?, DigitalPoint Forums