A few days ago, Bill Slawski (aka bragadocchio) started an excellent thread that has really taken off named SEO Myths. In that thread he lists out 23 SEO myths off the top of his head. The thread, now four pages long, adds a lot to that list. Here are the top 10 from Bill;
1. SEO copywriting means writing strong copy, then inserting keywords within the copy a number of times.
2. keyword density is important, and you don't want too much or too little.
3. You should place content above menus to have it "crawled first"
4. Meta tags are the key to high rankings
5. The revisit meta tag can tell search engines to come back on a regular basis
6. is important
7. The more links the better
8. Pagerank is dead
9. There is a duplicate content penalty
10. There is a certain percentage of duplication that you can get away with before your page will be filtered in the results
If you read through the thread, you can see the professionalism in this forum setting. Each debated point listed in the list, is then backed up with evidence of all kinds (both academic and real life examples). It is a must see thread.
Forum discussion at Cre8asite Forums