Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Lucky Seven: Our 7th Year Covering Search
Can you believe it? Seven years of covering search, search engines, search marketing, Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask on this blog. Never really taking an extended break, never hardly having something new or interesting to share. Who would have known that on December 2nd, 2003, my notebook on search topics would have been a continuous source of search knowledge seven years later?...
- Google Now Degrading Rankings Of Some Merchants With Poor Service
Last night, Google announced something which had two major impacts on their search algorithm. (1) Google Ranking Based on Merchant Service Quality. (2) Google Changes Algorithm Based On News Story...
- How Google & Bing Use Twitter & Facebook In Their Ranking Algorithms
What Social Signals Do Google & Bing Really Count? by Danny Sullivan at Search Engine Land is a must read by all. Danny interviewed Google and Bing on how social signals, mostly Twitter and Facebook, impact their ranking algorithms...
- Google Places Now Verifying "Edits" With Owners
Mike Blumenthal reports Google is now verifying "edits" made by users to a listing with the business owner, when possible. This is a good thing, because there are times when competitors may want to hurt you by maybe changing your address....
- User Access Controls Lost In New Google AdSense Console
If you go to your account settings in the new Google AdSense console, known as version 3, you won't be able to remove those listed as "Users with sign-in access."...
- Google's Hanukkah Dreidel
Google launched the new instant previews in early November. Since then, we have seen it cause some serious damage in Google Analytics, but now I see reports of people claiming it is damaging their AdSense ads. A WebmasterWorld thread has one person claiming he sees some AdSense ads being displayed in the Google Instant previews. If they are, it may mean that those ads are being fetched and counted on some cases when someone mouses
- Google's Report Offensive Images Back To Stay?
Google's Image Search PM, Peter Linsley tweeted last night to me that Google's "Report images link has been dusted off and relaunched! The removal process should be much clearer now." True, the report offensive images is back! After going away not once but twice...
- Our New Look & Features: v4
I am incredibly proud to announce we have launched our new design and platform today. After almost four years since our last redesign, aka version 3 and almost seven years of being on MovableType, we now have a brand new design and system to power this site...
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- DOTW: What Should Google Do About Negative Activity Being Good for SEO?, Sphinn
- Google Instant Preview- Influence on User and Its Optimisation, Sphinn
- Google Set to Launch E-Book Venture, WebmasterWorld
- Search Engine Optimization in an Increasingly Social World, Sphinn
- Small changes sometimes do make a big difference!, WebmasterWorld
- Article - Academics bemoan Google's lack of transparency, WebmasterWorld
- How often are reports updated?, Google Books Help
- Live traffic layer has not been working in Western Australia for 2 weeks now., Google Maps Help
- [Logo] UAE's Independence Day, Google Blogoscoped Forum