Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Can Twitter Alone Help A New Site Get Indexed?
A short WebmasterWorld thread has one person claiming that his brand new site was indexed solely based on a link from a tweet, via Twitter. He admits he cannot say with 100% certainty that Twitter was the only link to the new site, but he is pretty sure. I see no reason why Twitter could not be a great place for Google to discover and index new content. We know Google has a deal with
- Google Germany's Father's Day Logo & Google's ASCII Art Logo
Today is Father's day in Germany and Google Germany has a special logo up for the day. The logo looks nothing like the 2009 Google Father's Day logo from last year. In Germany, Father's Day is Vatertag. Here is a picture: Forum discussion on the Father's Day logo at Google Blogoscoped Forums. A Google Web Search Help thread points out an old but cute Google Doodle that is triggered when you conduct a search for
- Can Google Grow Forever?
A WebmasterWorld thread is discussion a recent BusinessInsider piece that says: Google's share gains have flatlined. A year ago, Google had 65% of the US search market. Last month, Google had 64.4% of the US search market. This after an amazing decade in which Google gained about a point of share per month. Most Google bulls expected Google to eventually own considerably more than 65% share of the US search market. As Google's competitors collapsed,
- Google's New "Short Answers" Are Not "New"
I love it when Google blogs something and then everyone in media thinks what they are showing is a brand new feature, even if the feature has been around since 2004. That is what happened when Google wrote about Google Squared's 1st birthday and showed off how this now powers Google's "short answers" and "something different" Google features. What is new is that "short answers" now (1) powered by Google Squared and (2) shows a
- Funny Google Search Results, Possibly NSFW
I spotted a couple funny Google search results via the forums that I wanted to share with you. The first one I spotted via a Google Blogoscoped Forum thread for a image search for [david cameron side profile]. David Cameron is the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, by the way. A search for that returns the following image either in the first or second position: That is an image you would not expect
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Dashboard, WebmasterWorld
- Link Building is All About Answering One Question, Sphinn
- New Layout Mucks Up Tracking Google Search vs. Partner Search, WebmasterWorld
- Some Backlinks Deserve to Have Their Backs Scratched, Sphinn
- comScore: Facebook Display Ads Up Significantly Q1 2010, WebmasterWorld
- Cost-Per-Action -- is this new?, WebmasterWorld
- Google Places Service Area Dissected, Sphinn
- Microsites. A Bad Idea Most of the Time., Sphinn
- My correctly spelled keywords are "Eligible", but some of my purposely misspelled ones are labeled as "Adult". Help!, Google AdWords Help
- New feature: Unlisted Videos, YouTube Help