Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- SEOs Blaming Site Speed For Rankings Already
Friday afternoon Google announced that page and site speed is now a ranking factor. Yes, we knew this was coming for months now and Google gave us tools to prepare for this, but how much of an impact does it play in the overall ranking algorithm at Google? Very little! Google said: While site speed is a new signal, it doesn't carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1%
- Does Facebook Sharing or Links Help with SEO?
A Cre8asite Forums thread asks a question about the potential SEO or link building impact Facebook can have on a web site. The simple question is, is there a benefit in terms of ranking to have users share and fan your Facebook pages and for you to share information and links with them on those pages? This site has a Facebook page over here, links are automatically shared. But technically, although Google sees the page
- Google Offers Prizes To Encourage AdWords Forum Participation
Getting experts in a field to help others in the same field is not always an easy task. However, that is how this industry was built up - from newbies learning from the old timers and passing on that tradition day in and day out. Over the years, forum participation has changed from what it was, even 3 years ago. Social networking sites, Facebook, Sphinn, Twitter and so on have captured the hearts and the
- Bug: Google AdSense for Search Code Error
Those trying to go through Google AdSense to generate a search box for their web site might be out of luck. According to a Google AdSense Help thread, the ability to create valid code to place on your web site, so that you can enable Google search and monetize that search on your web pages has been buggy. Early reports came March 31st, with no answer until Friday. The first report said: I followed step
- Google Maps Embed Bug Causes Issues With Zooming
Google finally admitted to a Google Maps bug that disabled the capability of zooming in or out of the map. A Google Maps Help thread explains that the issue happens when you try to embed a map using the iframe feature and that the street views man overlays on top of the zoom buttons, making the zoom buttons inactive. Here is a picture from someone in the forums: As you can see, the street views
- Search Market Share Reports Show Google Losing & Bing Gaining?
Both Hitwise and comScore released their search marketing share reports this past week. Both showed Bing growing and Google not from the previous month, in fact, Google has lost share for the "fourth straight month" according to Hitwise. Here is the Hitwise breakdown: Here is the comScore: Yea, Google still has a dominate lead, but it does look like Bing is chipping away slowly and slowly. Forum discussion at (the very pro Bing forum) WebmasterWorld.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google Adds Universal Search Features In Google Suggest For Mobiles, WebmasterWorld
- Google Displaying ads of Man Boobs - How to avoid that, DigitalPoint Forums
- How does Google find and index dictionary definitions?, WebmasterWorld
- Indexation Issues? Check Your Titles, Google News Help
- Link Building for Image Rich Websites, Sphinn
- seopenalty.com is really effective??, Google Webmaster Central Help