Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Naver Launches Closed Beta For Japan Search
A WebmasterWorld thread has discussion on a closed beta launch of a new Japanese search engine by the very popular South Korean portal, Naver. The search portal can be found at http://www.naver.jp/ and it is currently a closed beta. The early feedback on the new search engine seems positive from what I can tell in the thread. In fact, one member said, "quite positive, and the patented combo SERPS, clean design and cool integrated flash
- Google's iPhone Voice Search Breaks with iPhone 3.0
Google Voice Search for iPhone no longer works exactly like it did in the past. If you installed iPhone 3.0 operating system, you may notice that lifting the receiver to your ear and speaking your command will no longer function with the current Google Mobile app for the iPhone. This is a bit funny, in that Google admittedly broke Apple's rules by releasing such a feature. Specifically, moving the phone to your ear and having
- Google Testing Commission-Based "Product Ads"
Google Blogoscoped and Wall Street Journal are reporting on a new beta advertising product from Google named "Google Product Ads Beta." The new beta is invite only and seems to be a new way of advertisers paying for their ads, this time, based on conversions and commissions. The ads are priced not based on click but on commission set by the advertiser for a conversion. Here is the FAQ emailed and captured by Google Blogosoped:
- Google Upsets The Southern Hemisphere Over First Day of Winter Logo
Yesterday was not only the day Google posted a Father's Day logo, but it was also the day Google posted logos for the first day of Summer and Winter. Here are those logos: Google showed the winter/summer logos in countries that do not celebrate Father's Day on June 21st. It showed the winter logo in the Southern Hemisphere and the summer logo in the Northern Hemisphere. The issue is, just like when they showed the
- Your Google AdSense Earnings Reports Not Adding Up?
Recently, there was a swarm of threads of complaints in that various AdSense forums about how it appears the Google AdSense earnings reports are not adding up correctly. I'll isolate two Google AdSense Help Threads that have discussion about this. The issue is really not a calculation error but rather that you are looking at the wrong date ranges. Alan7769 explained in the thread that the problem is, "since last payment reporting is going back
- Google Sitemaps Pending Status "Normal"
There are many threads across the web with webmasters concerned that their sitemaps file is in "pending" status in Google Webmaster Tools. One such thread is at Google Webmaster Help where a few webmasters are complaining about the issue. Google issued an announcement about the "pending" Sitemaps status. Google said it is normal; Most sites that submit Sitemap files are regularly seeing a "pending" status in Webmaster Tools for their Sitemap files. This is normal
- Father's Day '09 Logos From Google, Yahoo & Search Industry
This is my first time being a father for Father's Day, so it is a bit different for me now. I am about to go to sleep here on the East Coast but many of the logos from the search industry are live now. Including logos from Google, Yahoo, AOL, DogPile and others. Here is a quick run down, which I hope to update tomorrow, when more logos and themes go live (specifically from Bing
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Importing Analytics Goal Data into Adwords, WebmasterWorld
- iPhone 3.0 Exchange/Sync Bug, Google Mobile Help
- Problems with Webmaster Center? Is something Going on?, Google Webmaster Help
- Feedburner Adds Friendfeed – Subscriber Data For Socialstreaming and Lifestreaming, Sphinn
- Death of the supplemental index (/*) site: operator?, WebmasterWorld
- DigitalPoint Penalized For Link Sales!!, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google announcement - Improved flash search and indexing, Search Engine Watch Forums
- Google Improves Flash Search and Indexing, DigitalPoint Forums
- Google's being penalized by the Chinese gov., DigitalPoint Forums