I am doing this video recap remotely today via St. Louis, so please excuse any issues. This week we covered how some SEOs claimed they were treating their customers poorly in order to get publicity, because any publicity, even bad, helps with Google rankings. Google then combatted them and others by degrading really bad customer service merchants. Google and Bing confirmed they use social factors, such as Twitter and Facebook in ranking the web results. Google promised to improve their DMCA and copyright handling. We ran a poll asking if Google should remove Q&A sites form the search results. Google Places now asks owners to verify edits made on Google Maps. Google is testing "searches related to" above the AdWords Map. You can't remove access to others from your Google AdSense console. Google added the report offensive images back to the image search. Google had a nice logo for Rosa Parks and Yahoo did Worlds AIDS day logo. Google has a special Chanukah easter egg, it's cool. SphinnCon Israel's agenda is now live, so sign up. We launched a brand new look and system this week. And yesterday was our seventh birthday, I've been covering search for seven years! That was this past week at the Search Engine Roundtable.
Make sure to subscribe to our video feed or subscribe directly on iTunes to be notified of these updates and download the video in the background. You can also watch this live and ask questions during the show, typically Friday mornings around 9:30 (EST) at seroundtable.com/live, follow @rustybrick to be notified when we air. Here is the YouTube version of the feed:
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- New SEO Strategy: Treat Your Customers Poorly
- Google Now Degrading Rankings Of Some Merchants With Poor Service
- How Google & Bing Use Twitter & Facebook In Their Ranking Algorithms
- Google News Updates Algorithm & Drops Many Publishers?
- Google To Improve DMCA Requests & Counter Notices
- Should Google Remove Q&A Sites From Search Results?
- Google Places Now Verifying "Edits" With Owners
- Google Testing "Searches Related To" Above AdWords Map
- User Access Controls Lost In New Google AdSense Console
- Google's Report Offensive Images Back To Stay?
- Google's Rosa Parks Logo & Yahoo's AIDS Day Logo
- Google's Hanukkah Dreidel
- SphinnCon: Israel SEO Conference Agenda Posted, Here Are The Details
- Our New Look & Features: v4
- Lucky Seven: Our 7th Year Covering Search