Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Squaretable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Squaretable Stories:
- April Fool's Day '08 Around the Search Industry
So, if you haven't noticed, today was April 1st. You know, April Fool's Day. Some of our little pranks were funny, while others were expected. Perhaps we should pull more pranks during the year when you guys least expect it. In any event, for the 24 hours that marks April 1st on the East Coast, we were the Search Engine Squaretable. And we also had some interesting news: Microsoft Buys Yahoo So Google Buys Microsoft
- Is an SEM Ranking System a Bad Idea?
Kalena Jordan writes a blog about her concern over an SEM rating site called SEMCompare. She tells us that the Search Marketing Standard magazine has started this site to allow people to write reviews about the search marketing agencies they've worked on, whether it's positive or negative. After doing an interview with one of the people behind the site, she was alarmed by a comment from said individual: "At the end of the day we
- Rank Checker Tool Released by SEO Book
Aaron Wall has written a pretty awesome rank checker tool Firefox plugin that checks various keywords against results on Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft Live. Here's a sample screenshot of what you're expected to see: While it looks like it's pretty accurate from my perspective, on Sphinn, one of the users note that it isn't completely accurate. Aaron has responded to inform us that the tool "clusters 100 results per page to minimize scraping on Google.
- Google AdWords Ads on Apple iPhone
Google renders their ads on an Apple iPhone almost exactly like they would on a normal web browser, but with a few changes. (1) It appears that Google will not show as on the right hand side of the search results. I am not sure why, there appears to be plenty of space to show those ads. (2) The max number of ads they will show at the top appear to be three ads. This
- UK Google AdSense Publishers Payment Delay
If you are based in the UK and are awaiting your Google AdSense payment, you might have to wait a little longer. A Google Groups post from an official Google AdSense representative, Stephanie, said that due to Easter coinciding with the first payment processing day, payment will be delayed in the UK. I've checked in with our payments specialists about your reports of not seeing any 'Payment in progress' links yet (especially for publishers located
- Google Webmaster Tools Fixes Verification Bug
After about 6 or so days of webmasters not being able to verify their sites in Google Webmaster Tools, Google has finally applied the fix. On March 28th, we reported verification issues with Google Webmaster Tools starting some time before March 27th. Google was aware of the issue and said there would be a fix soon. Yesterday afternoon, Googler, JohnMu, updated the Google Groups thread telling us the fix is now complete: From what I
- We Changed Our Name: We Are Now The Search Engine 'Squaretable'
If you haven't noticed yet, today we put up our new design. The design is based on more of a 'tabloid' type of theme. Yes, we decided to change our focus and become a more 'edgy news' type of publication. We wanted to stop boring you with all the latest minor SEO tips, AdSense changes and Google news items. We will not bring you the hot and edgy news from our industry. We have thus
- IM-NY & BOTW Rally the Search Industry to Raise More Than $16K for the Leukemia Society, Sphinn
- Seven Deadly Sins of SEO, Sphinn
- AdSense Optimisation tip of the week , Google Groups
- Barry Diller Gets Court Nod To Proceed With IAC Plan, WebmasterWorld
- Change in quality score - Open Letter to Google, WebmasterWorld
- IAC breakup moves forward, Search Engine Watch Forums
- New Czech and Slovak AdSense forums live, Google Groups
- What Happens To Your PageRank When You Get A New Domain Name?, DigitalPoint Forums
Other Great Search Forum Threads: