Oliver Humpage wrote Give Me Back My Google a search engine that does its best to strip out affiliate links, comparison sites and extra, non-unique information from the Google search results.
A search on ipod reveals some all of the sites that it currently blocks.
They include: elkoo, bizrate, pixmania, dealtime, pricerunner, dooyoo, pricegrabber, pricewatch, resellerratings, ebay, shopbot, comparestoreprices, ciao, unbeatable, shopping, epinions, nextag, buy
All shopping search engine related engines. But of course the ads remain.
Maybe he should of just used Google CSE to make it happen and allow others to add to it.
Brett Tabke of WebmasterWorld suggests some improvements:
- increase the size of the snippet by atleast two fold
- strip the over blown JS and CSS
- remove the those tricky adwords/premium ads that you accidentally click on.
- remove or expand the supplemental garbage that obfuscate results,
- get rid of the indented junk to twelve layers (if I want a directory - I'll go to Yahoo)
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.