RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #1502697599 at 07/24/2014 11:19 pm:

Kelly Clover commented on Tisk Tisk: Don't Toy With Google In Their Forums

I still haven't figured out the search engines yet. There were a few listings on the internet that sent visitors to my site directly to the cart page, not the intended landing page. Perhaps I erred by not designating the front page as the parent page. My product is intended only for current and former residents of Texas. But foreign search engines are referring visitors to my site anyway. I used Microsoft Paint to make several images that are being used on my website. Google is using some of these homemade images I created on listings of my website.

Comment ID #1502636078 at 07/24/2014 10:15 pm:

SEOSA7 commented on Associated Press To Have Algorithms Write Stories: Bet Google Won't Like It

Comment ID #1502635884 at 07/24/2014 10:15 pm:

Comment ID #1502625444 at 07/24/2014 10:05 pm:

CmsBuffet commented on How Much Do Your Charge for PPC Services?

This article is very informative for us which contains lot of information about effective techniques for PPC campaign. <b><a href="http://www.cmsbuffet.com/Minimize-Pay-Per-Click-Expenses-by-Utilizing-Negative-Keywords.php">PPC Marketing</a></b>

Comment ID #1502546913 at 07/24/2014 08:53 pm:

agsdfdag commented on Moz's YouMoz Section Called Out For Google Link Violations

So how about those FB ads, looks like someone is doing mobile right.

Comment ID #1502342915 at 07/24/2014 06:21 pm:

Craig Hamilton-Parker commented on Google's Advice On A Quality Online Discussion Forum

The forums on my website are on a sub-domain. Do you think poor quality posts with poor spelling etc could damage the main site. I know Google alegedly treats subdomans as a separate URL but do we have any indications that this is true. Wondering whether I should no index all the pages on my forums or put them into a members only section. Any ideas?

Comment ID #1502284943 at 07/24/2014 05:43 pm:

Rob Rawson commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

We're experiencing this exact problem. Must be a bot network using an IE7 vulnerability. Question is why is the bot network directing traffic at a bunch of random websites? The traffic is only to our home page. We've just filtering it out in Analytics and our other traffic / conversion monitoring.

Comment ID #1501990515 at 07/24/2014 02:44 pm:

James commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

Grrrr.

Comment ID #1501984761 at 07/24/2014 02:41 pm:

Fedor commented on Google Maps Android Nearby Features Upgraded

Junkfood and booze, good times.

Comment ID #1501975426 at 07/24/2014 02:35 pm:

Fedor commented on Google's Advice On A Quality Online Discussion Forum

Don't filter your comments Barry, Yo Mamma will stop posting all the useful propaganda we love so much. It brings life to your site donchaknow.

Comment ID #1501964650 at 07/24/2014 02:29 pm:

Fedor commented on Alice Cooper Band At Google Yesterday

I see one in particular.

Comment ID #1501964482 at 07/24/2014 02:29 pm:

Durante imboden commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

I don't understand why it matters Agee the traffic is coming from as long as google delivers it, fillit a fish..

Comment ID #1501961591 at 07/24/2014 02:27 pm:

Fedor commented on Are Google's Algorithms Global & The Same Worldwide?

Your title is misleading. It says Countries but your article talks about languages, even your own reference for Korea and Japan talks about languages, not countries. Make up your mind!

Comment ID #1501936578 at 07/24/2014 02:11 pm:

Roger Wong commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

Same exact trends here. Dropped off on the 18th-20th and I'm manually filtering out IE 7.0 users for the time being.

Comment ID #1501926894 at 07/24/2014 02:05 pm:

Fedor commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

Oh give me a break, if it's a sprike in directs using a single browser you know it's bots. Check and see if they setup the language correctly for the cloud instance, if it uses "c" as a language it's 100% bot. I've blocked most of amazon and other providers that let you setup free cloud instances a while ago and that caused bot activity to go down 90%, this includes scrapers etc. If I need to use an amazon service I just unblock the IPs they use.

Comment ID #1501868817 at 07/24/2014 01:28 pm:

We're seeing the same thing. All direct traffic from IE/desktop in the US only. Low time one site, pages/visit, terrible bounce rate. It was running up our re-targeting advertising too on AdRoll, so we put a stop to that. We need a nickname for it.... Lewis and Clark? :)

Comment ID #1501857892 at 07/24/2014 01:22 pm:

alpern commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

Identical trends here as what Daniel reported - spike began on July 8 w/ direct traffic counts 10X of prior levels. July 18-20 saw most of the spike dissipate only to resume once again on Monday July 21. Spread across US cities is normal (no singular locale seems to be a primary source of this traffic). Time on Site is typically zero, page views per user are typically one, and bounce rate is typically 100%. Definitely looking forward to some answers and seeing the source of this frustrating pattern stopped as our benchmarks are getting skewed.

Comment ID #1501837161 at 07/24/2014 01:09 pm:

Jeff Kandel commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

I looked through my analytics and didn't see anything unusual with IE7 or direct traffic. Similar to llamalicious, I would say that this a bot network. Extremely high bounce rate and extremely low avg. time on page points to a bot hitting the page and then leaving. All the traffic coming from one browser (IE7) would also point to a bot network. Also, being hit from a variety of regions points to a bot network. Also, the increase in direct traffic could mean that a bot already has a certain subset of URLs and is re-crawling them. I would recommend looking into your international traffic sources too and if you're being hit internationally, when you wouldn't expect it, that would also point to a bot network. Similar to Ilamalicious, I would check the log files and see if there's any commonality between the requests. One other thing not to rule out is that it may not be a malicious bot (e.g. a scraper). There could be some issue with a CDN you're using. Hope that helps, Jeff

Comment ID #1501833972 at 07/24/2014 01:07 pm:

Yo Mamma commented on Add Reminders & Calendar Events From Google's Search Results

I love Google search. So much stuff I can find that I really want and so much I don't want. Its just great the collection of priority domains Google has chosen. A calendar - Wow. I was looking for "Costco Amdro" and Amazon.com was first in the non-paid section. I then looked for "Homedepot Amdro" and Amazon.com was first in the non-paid section. My guess is that Google really likes Amazon.com versus me driving to a local store to pick up some ant killer - So helpful

Comment ID #1501825694 at 07/24/2014 01:02 pm:

Yo Mamma commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

2 issues on Mozilla ver 30.0 using Google 1. When you do a Google search, open the SERP domain, then go back to the original search, the URL shows the search criteria, but the page is blank. If you f5 it appears again. 2. Search for in Google and open a youtube vid or even goto youtube and load a vid, it just spins. After f5 sometimes a few times then the vid starts. It could be an incompatible add-on, but I thought I'd mention it being strange

Comment ID #1501766443 at 07/24/2014 12:28 pm:

ethalon commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

I'm not experiencing the problems you detailed in the beginning of your post. You should check your rig for possible issues. Are your browsers up to date?

Comment ID #1501754044 at 07/24/2014 12:21 pm:

Yo Mamma commented on With Matt Cutts Out; Who's Going To Take The Blame For Google Algorithms?

Enjoy your trip on the Titanic

Comment ID #1501752485 at 07/24/2014 12:20 pm:

You're such an animal

Comment ID #1501751187 at 07/24/2014 12:19 pm:

With Google messing up youtube vids loading in other browsers and the google search being wiped out after back peddling in Mozilla, I am amazed the entire world isn't being forced into using Chrome by now. Google also created a new picture compression that isn't being taken seriously by anyone other than Google. Oh well, I guess the majority of the world thinks Google sucks

Comment ID #1501730389 at 07/24/2014 12:08 pm:

Yo Mamma commented on Google's Advice On A Quality Online Discussion Forum

Was that a Google dig James? The best you can muster? How about you just say it like a real man and admit GOOGLE SERPS SUCK

Comment ID #1501645755 at 07/24/2014 11:26 am:

Michael commented on Bing Street View Cars

Just saw one today at North Brunswick, NJ

Comment ID #1501597902 at 07/24/2014 10:56 am:

Daniel Horning commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

We're seeing the same thing here, starting July 8th, with a complete drop of the spam visits Friday-Sunday 18th-20th. Mostly IE7, spread across cities in the US along with a jump in international traffic (we don't target or offer service outside the US). Looking forward to some answers.

Comment ID #1501550690 at 07/24/2014 10:28 am:

James commented on Google's Advice On A Quality Online Discussion Forum

"a cesspool of juvenile degenerates" You will be right at home there, then.

Comment ID #1501548342 at 07/24/2014 10:26 am:

I've also seen activity from "Synapse" user agents. I have blocked them.

Comment ID #1501532963 at 07/24/2014 10:16 am:

llamalicious commented on Webmasters Reporting Huge Increases In Direct Traffic From Internet Explorer 7

I've also seen this activity, and from scanning raw access logs the specific user agent causing these is: "Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+Synapse)" which appears to be some Delphi-based web scanner that triggers Javascript and therefore GA—that UA is from a TCP/IP component used in Delphi apps and my thinking is Google may be reading that UA string as IE. I've seen the traffic spike from 7/7 through now with a drop off on 7/19 and 7/20. For one property, out of 69K requests made during that time they came from 17,341 unique IP addresses - indicating a botnet. Other properties show similar traffic but I haven't read through the logs or done any additional analysis at this point.