Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Improving User Location Detection With "Auto Detect"
Whitey in the WebmasterWorld forums posted something new he is seeing. He said: Google has put stronger "auto detect" user location search preferences onto it's filters on the left hand panel. You can adjust this to your desired location, although i haven't tested this yet. Here is Australia it's down to State level for the first time , used to be at country level. Is anyone else seeing this in other regions on the default
- Google's Reconsideration Requests May Not Wipe Out Your Old Links
About a year ago, I covered a site clinic session where Google's Matt Cutts said that he'd prefer to start with a new domain than a domain that was penalized in the past. He used an analogy that new domains start at the ground level, penalized domains start below sea level. The other day, I spotted a Google Webmaster Help thread where Googler, JohnMu may have implied otherwise. John said: No, you don't have to
- Google's Online Reputation Management Advice Goes Against Their Guidelines?
Tedster posted a thread at WebmasterWorld citing a NPR article which reminded him of Google offering ORM advice (online reputation management advice). I personally don't see anything new and enlightening in the NPR article, but it did remind us of the ORM piece. But a Google representative did tell the NPR their advice in a raw way, they said: Google doesn't seem to have a problem with the whole game. As the world's largest search
- Wrong Picture On Your Google Maps Listing?
Do you have the wrong picture or logo of your business on your Google Maps listing? You are not alone. A Google Places Help thread has one bank branch manager complaining that his bank is using a 3rd party logo. He works at Center State Bank and his real logo looks like this: But the logo on the Google Maps listing shows: How do you fix this? Well, you should claim your listing in Google
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- 5 Extreme Tactics for Removing a Reputation Attack from Google’s Index, Sphinn
- Are SEOs Responsible For Rankings Or Money?, Sphinn
- At Google Images, “G” Is For “Girls In Bathrooms”, Sphinn
- Google not recognizing October 19 Yorktown Day in logo?!, Google Web Search Help
- How to rel-canonical your site out of Google's search index, Sphinn